Axis Camera with I/O and relay to turn on lights

In summary: Yes the Z712-ND will work with a diode. Please see the exploded view on the product page for more information. The relay has a coil voltage of 4.9-5.1 VDC and a current draw of less than 50 ma. The + terminal of the relay coil should go to pin #2 and the - terminal to pin #4. The relay contact ratings should of course be rated for whatever you will be switching.The Z712-ND relay is a good choice for your application.
kardamyla
Hi,
I do not know anything about relays. I been trying for days to hook up a relay to turn on a light using an Axis camera with an I/O switch. This is the relay http://search.digikey.com/scripts/D...eq=105585863&uq=634536768231996536&DPU=submit
This is the manual for the Axis 207 207W camera http://www.axis.com/files/manuals/um_207w_mw_33158_en_1208.pdf. the camera is 3.3 volt with a max 50ma, I don't even know if this is correct relay. I’m willing to pay someone for help me make this work.

This company http://www.ibou.fr/cameras/cameras.html makes something that works but they are asking 70 euro=110 dollars plus 30 shipping and the relay cost is only 4 dollars. For a relay that cost 5 dollars. I know they need to make a profit but this outrageous.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
The link you provided for the digikey part does not work, so I cannot judge it's compatibility. However, I can judge from the camera manual that the relay should have a coil voltage rating of 5 volts DC and a current draw of less than 50 ma. The + terminal of the relay coil should go to pin #2 and the - terminal to pin #4. The relay contact ratings should of course be rated for whatever you will be switching.

If you hook this up wrong you could cause damage.

THANKS A MILLION,

I have been trying to get some help from someone for over 5 weeks, and I came across this forum. There still people that willing to help.

The part number for the relay is http://www.digikey.com part number Z2909-ND , That is the one digikey suggested , I don't know anything about relays but looks like is 100ma and 3 volts.

Is there any way you can tell me what I need, I'm willing to pay you. Do I also need a transistor for protection as stated on the Axis manual. I'm looking to turn on lights 120-240 volts up to 1000 watts Max.

THANK YOU AGAIN
Best Regards,
George

No, the Z2909-ND is not what you need. You need a coil voltage of 5 volts at 50 ma or less. If you have been trying to use this relay without a suppression diode then damage may have already occurred. This relay does not have an internal suppression diode. Without the diode the switching transistor in the camera could be damaged.

The 3.3 volts that you have been referring to is the regulated voltage for the camera itself. The relay does not use this voltage. It is connected in parallel with the incoming power supply voltage (5 volts).

This is the relay that I would use: Z712-ND from Digikey. However, be warned that this relay does not have an internal suppression diode. So you will have to connect a suppression diode across the relay coil terminals yourself. Most any silicon diode should work just fine. You can get this at Radio Shack. Connect cathode lead (the end with the band) to the relay terminal that goes to pin 2. If you get this backwards then damage will occur.

I would recommend that you get someone else with more experience to do this for you.

that relay Mr Turtle suggested looks to be a real good choice.
Observe coil voltage is correct for your power supply voltage of 4.9-5.1 VDC per page 51 of that camera manual.

one last detail to check though, and probably it's a needless worry, ... but the old troubleshooter in me says 'look before you leap'...
... how large is that "light" you are turning on?
Back in my day photofloods could run into hundreds of watts, several amps, and you have there a five amp relay.
Incandescent lamps have large inrush - if your lamp is more than 200 watts get a spare relay for it may have short life.
if it'a one of those 1000 watt photoflood arrays then a bigger relay is in order...

please forgive my overcaution. i come from an industry where overcaution is the byword and "catcher in the rye" is a valid job description.
old habits die hard.

old jim

Is there a diode that you recommend from digikey to use with Z712-ND relay, and if I understand correctly you solder the band part of the diode to pin #2 of the relay, "The + terminal of the relay coil should go to pin #2 and the - terminal to pin #4".
As i mention before, I would like to donate something to this forum for the help the member provided. It has been frustrating 5 weeks trying to figure this out, at least one week talking to digikey and getting the wrong information and relays, thanks to this forum and its members, I think I may have my problem solved. Again Best Regards and many thanks to everyone in this forum.

there's countless electronic hobby forums around
and all Ham radio guys are friendly and helpful
i used to hang out at discovercircuits dot com, plenty of friendly folks there
if there's a ham antenna on a roof in your neighborhood i'll wager the occupant would be happy to help you solder.

now - that last relay you mentioned is not for switching power. Don't use it, its contact is rated just 1/2 amp for switching.
It's not a bad relay, COTO is a great manufacturer just that relay is more suited to switching telephone signals.
the metal used in signal relay contacts is different than in power relay contacts.

The diode has a stripe on one end. Mnemonic: "Arrowhead points to stripe."
Go to that drawing on page 43 of camera manual
stripe on diode goes to pin two, 'up' on that drawing
unstriped end to pin 4

most any diode will do - 1N4001(or any fourth digit)
or 1N4148/1N914
are real common and pennies apiece in quantity so a dollar buys a lifetime supply
or two for 99cents at Radio Shack.

and your relay coil is pins 1 and 6 of the RELAY see http://www.components.omron.com/components/web/PDFLIB.nsf/0/4287C4A29AD8E88785257201007DD690/$file/G6B_0609.pdf
page 5 of 10 in pdf, catalog page 153

hmmmm now i notice Mr Turtle selected the huskier 8 amp version of the relay. Well done, fellows

i'd still buy about four of them and some sockets, Digikey Z993-ND .
You know all your friends will want one too.

Be aware that incandescent lamps have low resistance when cold and if switch closes right at peak of sinewave will briefly draw 10X full current. So a 100 watt lamp can draw a kilowatt for an instant and that'll be hard on your relay contact so buy spares.
There is such a thing as an electronic relay that's smart enough to never close on peak but it's pricey, like forty bucks.

last thing - page 42 of camera manual shows camera connector terminals numbered left-right? Or is that the plug you wire up? I don't know, hopefully there's a mark on camera to double check. Just be real sure you don't reverse pin order when wiring the plug that goes into that connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Sir,

I got this diode 497-6478-6-ND hope it works.

"The diode has a stripe on one end. Mnemonic: "Arrowhead points to stripe."
Go to that drawing on page 43 of camera manual
stripe on diode goes to pin two, 'up' on that drawing
unstriped end to pin 4"

I think I got it stripe of the diode to pin #2 of the relay and unstripe to pin #4

"and your relay coil is pins 1 and 6 of the RELAY"

From the relay coil Pin 1 it goes to axis I/O #2 and relay Coil #6 to axis I/O 4.

Hope I got all that correct. God Bless and many thanks

kardamyla said:
Thank you Sir,

I think I got it stripe of the diode to pin #2 of the relay and unstripe to pin #4

No, no. The stripe of the diode goes to pin #2 of the terminal connector on your camera. The polarity of the relay coil itself does not matter becuase it does not have an internal diode. Go by the diagram on page 43 of your manual.

It is very important that you get the diode connect right. If not, you can seriously damage your camera.

Just noticed the diode that you chose: 497-6478-6-ND
That is a clamping diode not designed for what you need. You should use one of the diodes in Jim's post.

OK finally got it the Arrowhead stripe of the diode to the #2 I/O connector of the camera and the other end of the diode to #4 I/O connector.

The relay coil is pins 1 and 6 , one goes to the I/O connector of the camera pin #2 and the other terminal to pin #4

You also mention that "such a thing as an electronic relay that's smart enough to never close on peak but it's pricey" do you have a part number, on the long run I may be better off with those.

And finally the diode I purchase from digikey is OK 497-6478-6-ND .

And once again I THANK YOU for all your help and patience
with me.
PS Is this doesn’t work about if I sent you one camera and the parts and pay you to set it up.

Looks like you have it right, if what you mean by "arrowhead stripe" is the end with the band. I/O pin #2 ----|<----- I/O pin #4. (banded end to I/O pin #2) Good luck and have fun with your project.

I assumed that pin 4 and 5 on the relay is the output for the light? And this relay can handle 120-240 volts up to 500 watt.

I should get more involved with Electronics, very interesting.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE .

With best regards,

George

kardamyla said:
I assumed that pin 4 and 5 on the relay is the output for the light? And this relay can handle 120-240 volts up to 500 watt.

No, and yes.

Go to the http://www.components.omron.com/components/web/PDFLIB.nsf/0/4287C4A29AD8E88785257201007DD690/$file/G6B_0609.pdf" website for this part.
Scroll down to the bottom of page 153. There you will find dimensions and pinouts for Digikey part# Z712-ND = Omron part# G6B-1174P-US. 1 and 6 for coil and 3 and 4 for contacts.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does the Axis Camera with I/O and relay work to turn on lights?

The Axis Camera with I/O and relay is designed to connect to your existing lighting system and be controlled remotely through the camera's software. The camera has built-in I/O ports and a relay that can be programmed to trigger the lights based on specific events or schedules. This allows for convenient and efficient control of your lighting system.

2. Can multiple lights be controlled by one Axis Camera with I/O and relay?

Yes, the Axis Camera with I/O and relay can control multiple lights by using additional I/O ports or by daisy-chaining the lights together. This allows for a more comprehensive and customizable lighting system.

3. What types of events can be programmed to trigger the lights through the Axis Camera with I/O and relay?

The Axis Camera with I/O and relay can be programmed to trigger the lights based on a variety of events, including motion detection, sound detection, specific time schedules, and manual triggers through the camera's software or a connected device. This allows for a versatile and adaptable lighting system.

4. Is the Axis Camera with I/O and relay compatible with all types of lighting systems?

The Axis Camera with I/O and relay is compatible with most lighting systems, including LED, fluorescent, and incandescent lights. However, it is always recommended to consult with a professional electrician to ensure proper installation and compatibility.

5. Can the Axis Camera with I/O and relay be integrated with other smart home devices?

Yes, the Axis Camera with I/O and relay can be integrated with other smart home devices, such as voice assistants, home automation systems, and security systems. This allows for a more comprehensive and interconnected home automation experience.