Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Axis of rotation, plane of reflection

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    For a 3x3 orthogonal matrix with determinant= -1 (which means rotation followed by simple reflection), is the axis of rotation the same as the plane of reflection ?

My reasoning is follows (see attachment)

Say you have two vectors with the same angle size (which i call A), same x-values, but one of the z-values (height in this case), is the negative of the other (n.b. y-value is zero in both vectors )

Vector 1 rotates around the x-axis by 2A to get to the same spot as vector 2. Because the angle size is the same and because the z-component of vector 2 is the negative of the z-component of vector 1, we get a reflection ?

Since the "reflection" happens about the x-axis, this is why the plane of reflection is the same as the axis of rotation in the case of a 3x3 orthogonal matrix having determinant 1 ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2
    if [itex]A\in \textrm{O}(3,\mathbb{R})[/itex] and [itex]\det(A)=-1[/itex], there exists a [itex]U\in \textrm{SU}(3)[/itex] such that

[tex]
    UAU^{\dagger} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}
    -1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & e^{i\theta} & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & e^{-i\theta} \\
    \end{array}\right)
    [/tex]

with some [itex]\theta\in\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Then there exists a [itex]V\in \textrm{SU}(2)[/itex] such that

[tex]
    V\left(\begin{array}{cc}
    e^{i\theta} & 0 \\
    0 & e^{-i\theta} \\
    \end{array}\right)V^{\dagger}
    = \left(\begin{array}{cc}
    \cos(\theta) & -\sin(\theta) \\
    \sin(\theta) & \cos(\theta) \\
    \end{array}\right)
    [/tex]

So if you define

[tex]
    W = \left(\begin{array}{cc}
    1 & 0 \\
    0 & V \\
    \end{array}\right)U
    [/tex]

then [itex]WAW^{\dagger}[/itex] will be of such form that reflection and rotation are clearly carried out with respect to the same axis. Only problem is that [itex]W[/itex] doesn't necessarily have only real entries. How to prove that [itex]W[/itex] is necessarily proportional to a real matrix?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook