1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B in physics 1 (basic freshman mechanics) = bad?

1. Dec 21, 2007 #1
    ok, I am of one of those good universities and going to be a physics/math major. I was taking matter and Interaction 1 ( mechanics course honors for freshman), I was doing well in the course attaining very well low As around 88-90, the point drop is significant as 1 question weighs 25 points and a single simple mistake accounts for a 5 points score drop. I also thought I did well in the final (as usually I have test anxiety) but later as I looked at my grade it was a B (our university only gives A or B or C no A+, B+ stuff), apart from being raged, knowing that I understood the material but failed due to test anxiety, I am worried that it will hurt my physics gpa for grad school. I have emailed the professor to discuss with me my mistakes.

The basic question is will this have a significant impact on grad school application, since I am a physics major and have a B in basic mechanics? I know that I understand the material well and I will be able to do well in the future (not crying or anything, jus worried)

thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2007 #2
    think it's safe to say you're fine
  4. Dec 21, 2007 #3
    I think grad schools would look at your upper level classes way more than your lower level classes. I'll wouldn't be too worry about a low level course.
  5. Dec 21, 2007 #4
    Well it's not good, but no one is going to punt you over it.

They might wonder about your suceptability to advertising, though.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  6. Dec 21, 2007 #5
    That's pretty bad, actually. Even A's are bad. All the grad students I know had special letters assigned as their grade because their scores were so high.
  7. Dec 21, 2007 #6

Gold Member

Don't worry about the grade. You've merely found out that your in-class exams don't really reflect your understanding of the material. If you're confident in your abilities, then thats all you really need. Grad schools won't look down on you if you got a stupid B in a course way back when.
  8. Jan 4, 2008 #7
    damn it.. My school has so many physics olympiads.. Sometimes I don't know how to grab some As from them.. They've been trained months or years to solve the most difficult questions for undergrad level..
  9. Jan 4, 2008 #8

Science Advisor

That sounds silly, but then again I've never been to graduate school.

The only "special" symbols I ever remember were when a plus or minus (+/-) scale was used. It sounds more like a semantics issue over what an "A" is or isn't. If you define your scale such that an "A" is the highest, then, no matter how high you score, you'll only have an "A".

10. Jan 4, 2008 #9
    He/she was being sarcastic. :P
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?