BA in Engineering: How to Switch Careers and Catch Up on Math and Physics

• Thread starter Charlie_fox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Careers
In summary, two professional pilots are discussing the possibility of changing careers to pursue engineering. They both have undergraduate degrees in aeronautics but lack a strong background in math. They are considering taking undergraduate courses in math and physics and possibly pursuing a graduate degree. One pilot recommends looking into online degrees at the University of North Dakota.
Charlie_fox
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, and I am contemplating changing careers. I am a professional pilot, and have always been fascinated by the engineering aspect of flying. I have an undergrad degree in aeronautics, but not a lot of math. I am pretty good at math, and am willing to back and take some undergrad courses in math and physics to catch up. I am interested in a graduate degree, but since my undergrad wasn't in engineering, how tough would this be?

Any info would help!

Thanks!

M

Physics news on Phys.org
Charlie-Fox, I am also a professional pilot and also in the process of switching careers. I am burned out and tired of furloughs, low pay, long periods from home and "checkride for your job pressure." I am pursuing a Mathematics degree from UIS and plan on teaching high school math while attending grad school. I would look into UND for your pursuits. UND has a couple of online degree's that apply to what you are looking for. See you at FL410, hopefully not too much longer!

Integral,

Thanks! Everybody has given me that "deer in the headlights" look every since I started brushing up on my math skills for my first class. It really gets old, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one out there!

Related to BA in Engineering: How to Switch Careers and Catch Up on Math and Physics

1. Can I switch to a BA in Engineering if I did not major in a related field in my undergraduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a BA in Engineering even if your undergraduate degree is in a different field. However, you may need to complete prerequisite courses in math and physics before being accepted into an engineering program. It is recommended to consult with an academic advisor to determine the specific requirements for each university.

2. How long does it take to catch up on the necessary math and physics courses for a BA in Engineering?

The time it takes to catch up on math and physics courses will vary depending on your previous knowledge and the specific requirements of the engineering program. It may take a few semesters to complete the necessary courses, but with dedication and hard work, it is possible to catch up and excel in these subjects.

3. Can I work while catching up on math and physics courses for a BA in Engineering?

It is possible to work while completing prerequisite courses for a BA in Engineering, but it may be challenging to balance both commitments. It is important to carefully consider your workload and make a plan that allows you to successfully complete your courses while also fulfilling your work responsibilities.

4. Is it worth switching to a BA in Engineering if I already have a successful career in a different field?

The decision to switch careers is a personal one and will depend on your individual goals and interests. However, a BA in Engineering can open up new career opportunities and allow you to apply your skills in a different field. It may also lead to higher salaries and job satisfaction for some individuals.

5. Can I transfer credits from my previous studies towards a BA in Engineering?

It is possible to transfer credits from your previous studies towards a BA in Engineering, but this will depend on the specific requirements of the program and the courses you have taken. It is recommended to speak with an academic advisor at the university you are interested in attending to determine which credits may be transferable.