How Can I Refresh My Physics Knowledge After a Long Break?

In summary, you can start relearning physics by studying your old texts and notes, as well as doing homework and tests from when you were in school. You may also want to consider getting a tutor to help you understand the more difficult concepts.
jonny772
So I have been out of physics for a while now and need to find a refresher to "remind" myself of what I have forgotten. I have not been in a formal class for over 4 years, and am trying to complete my degree, but between moving and money issues it has been tough. I am resolved to finish my degree, but where can I start to relearn anything I may have forgotten? Any good books or websites I can study? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're not looking for a specific course and grade you can point to later on, MIT has a good number of physics coursework online (often including lectures, homework, tests, and solutions).

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/index.htm

I just need to jump start the math and physics portion of my brain. I have been working as a tech on underwater vehicles. It pays well but doesn't test my brain

jonny772 said:
So I have been out of physics for a while now and need to find a refresher to "remind" myself of what I have forgotten. I have not been in a formal class for over 4 years, and am trying to complete my degree, but between moving and money issues it has been tough. I am resolved to finish my degree, but where can I start to relearn anything I may have forgotten? Any good books or websites I can study? Thanks.

This may sound obvious, but I had to ask. What about your old texts, notes, and homework?

Zz.

I am kind of in the same situation as you . . . I declared academic bankruptcy at my school. What it does is pretty much wipes your slate clean and starts you over as if you never went to college. I did this because I kind of goofed around my last time in college and really messed up my G.P.A. and not so much because I forgot everything; though I am kind of glad I'm starting over as I am realizing that I forgot more than I thought. I believe different colleges have different stipulations before you can do this so I would check but my college required that I be out of school for at least 5 years and that this was a "one time deal". A lot of people have asked me "did it mess up your credit?" and I have to inform them that it has absolutely nothing to do with credit or anything like that; but rather its just a term they use as its basically doing the same thing actual financial bankruptcy does (I guess, I've never filed).

If you have over 30 hours with a decent GPA I probably wouldn't suggest this, but just wanted to let you know that this is something that is available. Good luck though!

I have over 120 hours and a c average, I love physics and understand it without the math, but when it comes to the math portion I have to work really hard, and that gets me a C, and while that may not be the best for some, its great for me. I don't like doing things that come easy, which explains my physics facination.

C's are all you need for prerequisites . . . just do some studying of the fundamental stuff on your own time. Maybe consider getting a tudor . . . because unfortunately with physics, there is quite a bit of math. You'll do fine though, may just take a little extra effort at first. Good luck!

What does it mean to "have x hours"?

Landau said:
What does it mean to "have x hours"?

I believe he is referring to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/credit+hours"

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: How Can I Refresh My Physics Knowledge After a Long Break?

1. What updates or changes should I be aware of in the field of physics since I've been away?

Since you've been away from the field of physics for 5 years, there have been several major advancements and discoveries. Some notable updates include the detection of gravitational waves, the discovery of the Higgs boson particle, and the development of quantum computing technology. It is also important to familiarize yourself with any new theories or findings in your specific area of study.

2. How can I catch up on the research and literature that I may have missed during my hiatus?

There are a few ways to catch up on the research and literature that you may have missed in the past 5 years. You can start by reading review articles and attending conferences or seminars in your field to get a broad overview. Additionally, reaching out to colleagues or mentors can also help fill in any knowledge gaps and provide valuable insights.

3. Are there any new technologies or tools that I should be familiar with?

In the past 5 years, there have been many advancements in technology that can aid in your research. Some examples include new imaging techniques, advanced simulations and modeling software, and improved data analysis tools. It is important to stay updated on these advancements to enhance your research capabilities.

4. How can I get back into the swing of things and restart my career in physics?

Restarting your career in physics after a 5-year hiatus may seem daunting, but there are several steps you can take to ease back into the field. Start by reviewing fundamental concepts and brushing up on any necessary skills. You can also consider collaborating with other researchers or taking short courses to get back into the mindset of a physicist.

5. Will my previous knowledge and experience still be relevant?

Yes, your previous knowledge and experience in the field of physics will still be relevant. However, it is important to acknowledge any updates or changes that may have occurred since you were last active in the field. Additionally, be open to learning new concepts and techniques to stay current and enhance your research capabilities.