Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Back to physics after 5 years

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    So I have been out of physics for a while now and need to find a refresher to "remind" myself of what I have forgotten. I have not been in a formal class for over 4 years, and am trying to complete my degree, but between moving and money issues it has been tough. I am resolved to finish my degree, but where can I start to relearn anything I may have forgotten? Any good books or websites I can study? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

eri

If you're not looking for a specific course and grade you can point to later on, MIT has a good number of physics coursework online (often including lectures, homework, tests, and solutions).

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/index.htm

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3
    I just need to jump start the math and physics portion of my brain. I have been working as a tech on underwater vehicles. It pays well but doesn't test my brain

5. Jan 29, 2010 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This may sound obvious, but I had to ask. What about your old texts, notes, and homework?

Zz.

6. Jan 30, 2010 #5
    I am kind of in the same situation as you . . . I declared academic bankruptcy at my school. What it does is pretty much wipes your slate clean and starts you over as if you never went to college. I did this because I kind of goofed around my last time in college and really messed up my G.P.A. and not so much because I forgot everything; though I am kind of glad I'm starting over as I am realizing that I forgot more than I thought. I believe different colleges have different stipulations before you can do this so I would check but my college required that I be out of school for at least 5 years and that this was a "one time deal". A lot of people have asked me "did it mess up your credit?" and I have to inform them that it has absolutely nothing to do with credit or anything like that; but rather its just a term they use as its basically doing the same thing actual financial bankruptcy does (I guess, I've never filed).

If you have over 30 hours with a decent GPA I probably wouldn't suggest this, but just wanted to let you know that this is something that is available. Good luck though!

7. Jan 31, 2010 #6
    I have over 120 hours and a c average, I love physics and understand it without the math, but when it comes to the math portion I have to work really hard, and that gets me a C, and while that may not be the best for some, its great for me. I dont like doing things that come easy, which explains my physics facination.

8. Jan 31, 2010 #7
    C's are all you need for prerequisites . . . just do some studying of the fundamental stuff on your own time. Maybe consider getting a tudor . . . because unfortunately with physics, there is quite a bit of math. You'll do fine though, may just take a little extra effort at first. Good luck!

9. Jan 31, 2010 #8

Landau

Science Advisor

What does it mean to "have x hours"?

10. Feb 1, 2010 #9

Dembadon

Gold Member

I believe he is referring to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/credit+hours" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook