1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bad overall GPA but good Major GPA

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    I did terrible in community college and got a 3.07. I just transferred to a university and it looks like I will have a 4.0 for my major GPA at the end of the semester. I'm sure these will change by the time I graduate (especially the 4.0 haha) but just going with what i have, if a graduated with a 3.0 overall and a 4.0 in physics, what would my chances look like getting into a good grad school (maybe top 50)? Assuming i have average research experience and good GRE scores and recommendations.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In graduate school, a C is failing. A 3.0 overall and a 4.0 in-major means about a C average out of major. So such a student will have failed half his classes. Does this sound competitive?

4. Apr 12, 2013 #3
    3.0 is B on the scale of GPA, and a 2.5 would be a C.

I have a friend who had a 2.6 overall GPA, but his major GPA was 3.4 and he was accepted into one of the top 50 schools for physics. Given his story, I would say it depends on other good records on the application.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook