Bad overall GPA but good Major GPA

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gpa Major
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
jaydnul
Messages
558
Reaction score
15
I did terrible in community college and got a 3.07. I just transferred to a university and it looks like I will have a 4.0 for my major GPA at the end of the semester. I'm sure these will change by the time I graduate (especially the 4.0 haha) but just going with what i have, if a graduated with a 3.0 overall and a 4.0 in physics, what would my chances look like getting into a good grad school (maybe top 50)? Assuming i have average research experience and good GRE scores and recommendations.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In graduate school, a C is failing. A 3.0 overall and a 4.0 in-major means about a C average out of major. So such a student will have failed half his classes. Does this sound competitive?
 
3.0 is B on the scale of GPA, and a 2.5 would be a C.

I have a friend who had a 2.6 overall GPA, but his major GPA was 3.4 and he was accepted into one of the top 50 schools for physics. Given his story, I would say it depends on other good records on the application.