1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bah calculus calculus & more calculus

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    got a simple problem.
    the question is find min value for f=x*y+(z^2) with constraints 2*x -y=8, and co-ordinates where it occurs.
    so far what i did.

i got λ=-2

is this right? and is that the only λ value?

how do i even start to find equilibrium solutions & general solution to ((t/2)-2)*sin(y), we weren't taught or shown how to find it involving sin,cos, tan?
    for general solution i should take it as separable to find the general solution? but how do i start? sin, cos, tan bah
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

you could probaby substitute directly into that function & minimise
  4. May 13, 2010 #3

Homework Helper

otherwise lagrange multipliers are alway good...
  5. May 13, 2010 #4

Science Advisor

I think you are trying to use "Lagrange multipliers" as lanedance suggested but you seem to have no idea how to do that.

You write, correctly, that [itex]\nabla f= \lambda \nabla g[/itex] but then "F(x,y,z)=f(x,y)-λg(x,y,z)" and "F=(xy+z^2)-λ(2x-y-8)" which have nothing to do with what you wrote previously.

[itex]\nabla f[/itex] is the vector [itex]y\vec{i}+ x\vec{j}+ 2z\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\nabla g= 2\vec{i}- \vec{j}[/itex].

"[itex]\nabla f= \lambda \nabla g[/itex]" is now
    [itex]y\vec{i}+ x\vec{j}+ 2z\vec{k}= \lambda 2\vec{i}- \vec{j}[/itex]

Looking at the individual components of that, [itex]y= 2\lambda[/itex], [itex]x= -\lambda[/itex], and [itex]z= 0[/itex].

Now, you have [itex]y= 2\lambda[/itex] but you have [itex]x= \lambda[\itex] rather than [itex]x= -\lambda[/itex]. Perhaps that is just a typo. In any case, they do not give "[itex]\lambda= -2[/itex] because you have no reason to believe x= -2 or y= -4!.

Rather, [itex]x= -\lambda[/itex] says that [itex]\lambda= -x[/itex] and so [itex]y= 2\lambda= -2x[/itex]. Putting that into the constraint 2x- y= 8 gives 2x+ 2x= 4x= 8 so x= 2 and y= -4. The solution is (2, -4, 0).

Is this a completely different problem? Then what is the problem? I associate "equilibrium solutions & general solution" with differential equations but you give no differential equation. Are you talking about dy/dt= ((t/2)- 2)sin(y) or some other problem? Please state the entire problem.

And a general suggestion: if you want people who are really good at math to help you (hopefully more politely than I did), stop dissing mathematics!
  6. May 19, 2010 #5

i didn't diss maths. why would i diss maths if im majoring in maths? its called sense of humour. last time im using this forum, its like dictatorship here no freedom.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook