Balancing a mass using a balance beam

In summary, if you want the object to balance on the meter stick, it should be placed between 0.25 and 0.50 m from the left end.
louza8

Homework Statement

A rock is attached to the left end of a uniform meter stick that has the same mass as
the rock.
How far from the left end of the stick should the triangular object be placed so that
the combination of meter stick and rock is in balance?
a. 0.25 m.
b. between 0.25 m and 0.50 m.
c. 0.50 m.
d. more than 0.50 m.

Homework Equations

The only question similar to this that I have done is where the masses balance on each end of the ruler and the ruler applies zero torque as it is on the fullcrum. (length*mass=length*mass)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• rockyo.JPG
    rockyo.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 814
Physics news on Phys.org
louza8 said:

Homework Equations

The only question similar to this that I have done is where the masses balance on each end of the ruler and the ruler applies zero torque as it is on the fullcrum. (length*mass=length*mass)

Just know that the force is weight, the acceleration cancels out to leave mass alone.

But in the position it is in, between the mass and the center of gravity of the stick, call the distance from the fulcrum to the left end 'x'.

Then sum torques about the fulcrum.

little bit more help please, I'm still not following. exam tomorrow. sorry to be a bother.

Just to point out, I am still in secondary school so i may not be the most reliable person to answer this but i think the answer is b. between 0.25-0.5

This is how i did it

1. I assigned both the ruler and rock with masses of 100 grams.
2. I then divided the ruler into 10 equal size pieces each 0.1m long and 10 grams in mass.
3. Then i placed the triangle at 0.25m inside the ruler.
4. Then i multipled each piece of ruler by its distance from the triangle, I also include the weight of the rock.
5. It came up with a moment of 2975 on the left side and a moment of 3225 on the right.
6. This is very close to an equalibruim, so all you have to do is move the triangle between 0.25-0.5 and you should have the answer.

I created an attachment with a diagram that show how i did it.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Balance ruler.jpg
    Balance ruler.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,120
louza8 said:
little bit more help please, I'm still not following. exam tomorrow. sorry to be a bother.

If the distance from the center of gravity of the ruler to the left end is 0.5 m and the distance from from the rock to the fulcrum is x. Then shouldn't the distance of the center of gravity of the ruler to the fulcrum be '0.5-x'?

Then just sum moments about the fulcrum

Moment about point = Force * perpendicular distance of the force from the point

thanks to both of you guys :)

What is balancing a mass using a balance beam?

Balancing a mass using a balance beam is a process of finding the center of mass of an object by placing it on a beam and adjusting the position of the object until the beam is horizontal.

What is the purpose of balancing a mass using a balance beam?

The purpose of balancing a mass using a balance beam is to accurately determine the center of mass of an object, which is important for understanding its stability and motion.

What are the steps for balancing a mass using a balance beam?

The steps for balancing a mass using a balance beam are:

1. Place the beam on a flat, horizontal surface.
  2. Hang the object on one end of the beam.
  3. Adjust the position of the object until the beam is horizontal.
  4. Mark the position of the object on the beam.
  5. Repeat the process with the object on the other end of the beam.
  6. The center of mass is located at the point where the two marks intersect.

What factors can affect the accuracy of balancing a mass using a balance beam?

The accuracy of balancing a mass using a balance beam can be affected by factors such as the precision of the beam, the weight and shape of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.

What are the applications of balancing a mass using a balance beam in science and engineering?

Balancing a mass using a balance beam is commonly used in science and engineering to determine the center of mass of various objects, which is important for designing stable structures and understanding the behavior of complex systems.