Balancing a plank on springs (Torques)

In summary, the machine on a plank of metal has a combined mass of 430 kg and the center of mass is 1.2 meters from the left side of the plank. To balance the forces on the machine, the user needs to consider both ends and find Δx = 1.4 from 430*9.8=3700 Δx.
notabigfan
Hello, I would like some help with the following question. I highly appreciate your help ! I got an answer that doesn't make sense so I know there must be a concept that I don't get.

There is a complicated piece of machinery sitting on a plank of metal which
is 2 m long. The metal and machinery have a combined mass of 430 kg. The center
of mass is approximately 1.2 m from the left side of the plank. We need to attach 2
springs to the plank to lift it off the ground, but it needs to be level. One spring has
a spring constant of 2200 N/m and is attached to the right edge of the plank. If the
other spring has a spring constant of 1500 N/m, where should we put it to make sure
everything is level?

So what I did is that I wanted to balance torques and forces.

Forces:

mg= Fs1 + Fs2
mg= 2200Δx + 1500 Δx ( Since it is level, then I assumed that delta x is the same)
mg = 3700 Δx
430*9.8= 3700 Δx
Δx = 1.4

Then, I started balancing torques.
I have set the left end to be my pivot.
mg(1.2)= Fs2y ( Where y is the distance of the second spring from the left end)
mg(1.2) = KΔx y
430*9.8*1.2 = 1500*1.4 y

y = 2.4 , which is obviously impossible since the length of the plank is just 2 metres.

Physics news on Phys.org
notabigfan said:
mg(1.2)= Fs2y ( Where y is the distance of the second spring from the left end)
What about the spring at the right-hand end?

Hello small fan,

Could you please use the template ? There's good reasons for it being required in PF. Read the guidelines if you don't believe me.

I don't understand how you can find Δx = 1.4 from 430*9.8= 3700 Δx ?

Your torque balancing makes a strange impression on me.
Why is Fs1 missing ?
Did you make a drawing ?

Ha Haru! Please take over, bedtime for me!

Can't I just use one pivot ?

haruspex said:
What about the spring at the right-hand end?

Hey ! I was wondering why do I need to consider both ends? The object has one pivot.

BvU said:
Hello small fan,

Could you please use the template ? There's good reasons for it being required in PF. Read the guidelines if you don't believe me.

Why is Fs1 missing ?
Did you make a drawing ?

Hey !

I thought I am following it. I am sorry if I didn't. Ok .. I multiply 430 by 9.8 and divide the product by 3700.
Δx is the compression of the springs.

BvU said:
Hello small fan,

Why is Fs1 missing ?
Did you make a drawing ?

Also, Fs1 is missing because it passes through the pivot. So the torque it's producing is equal to zero.

If you want to show me a better approach please do. Thanks :)

notabigfan said:
Also, Fs1 is missing because it passes through the pivot.
Not according to what you posted. You have one spring at the right hand end, one spring at some unknown distance from the left hand end, and a pivot at the left hand end.

haruspex said:
Not according to what you posted. You have one spring at the right hand end, one spring at some unknown distance from the left hand end, and a pivot at the left hand end.

My bad ... got it. Thanks :)

1. What is the purpose of balancing a plank on springs?

The purpose of balancing a plank on springs is to demonstrate the concept of torques, which is the turning force that causes an object to rotate.

2. How do the springs affect the balance of the plank?

The springs provide a restoring force that counteracts any external torque applied to the plank. This helps to maintain the balance of the plank and prevents it from tipping over.

3. How do different types of springs affect the balance of the plank?

Different types of springs, such as compression springs and tension springs, will have different effects on the balance of the plank. For example, compression springs provide a force that pushes the plank back to its original position, while tension springs provide a force that pulls the plank back to its original position.

4. How can the balance of the plank be adjusted?

The balance of the plank can be adjusted by changing the position of the springs or by adjusting the tension of the springs. This will change the magnitude of the restoring force and therefore affect the balance of the plank.

5. What real-world applications are there for balancing a plank on springs?

Balancing a plank on springs is a common concept used in engineering and physics, particularly in the design of structures and machines. It is also used in the development of prosthetics and robotics, where balance and stability are crucial for proper functioning.