1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balancing a plank on springs (Torques)

1. Apr 9, 2014 #1
    Hello, I would like some help with the following question. I highly appreciate your help ! I got an answer that doesn't make sense so I know there must be a concept that I don't get.

There is a complicated piece of machinery sitting on a plank of metal which
    is 2 m long. The metal and machinery have a combined mass of 430 kg. The center
    of mass is approximately 1.2 m from the left side of the plank. We need to attach 2
    springs to the plank to lift it off the ground, but it needs to be level. One spring has
    a spring constant of 2200 N/m and is attached to the right edge of the plank. If the
    other spring has a spring constant of 1500 N/m, where should we put it to make sure
    everything is level?

So what I did is that I wanted to balance torques and forces.

Forces:

mg= Fs1 + Fs2
    mg= 2200Δx + 1500 Δx ( Since it is level, then I assumed that delta x is the same)
    mg = 3700 Δx
    430*9.8= 3700 Δx
    Δx = 1.4

Then, I started balancing torques.
    I have set the left end to be my pivot.
    mg(1.2)= Fs2y ( Where y is the distance of the second spring from the left end)
    mg(1.2) = KΔx y
    430*9.8*1.2 = 1500*1.4 y

y = 2.4 , which is obviously impossible since the length of the plank is just 2 metres.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What about the spring at the right-hand end?

4. Apr 9, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello small fan,

Could you please use the template ? There's good reasons for it being required in PF. Read the guidelines if you don't believe me.

I don't understand how you can find Δx = 1.4 from 430*9.8= 3700 Δx ?

Your torque balancing makes a strange impression on me.
    Why is Fs1 missing ?
    Did you make a drawing ?

Ha Haru! Please take over, bedtime for me!

5. Apr 9, 2014 #4
    Can't I just use one pivot ?

Hey ! I was wondering why do I need to consider both ends? The object has one pivot.

6. Apr 9, 2014 #5
    Hey !

I thought I am following it. I am sorry if I didn't. Ok .. I multiply 430 by 9.8 and divide the product by 3700.
    Δx is the compression of the springs.

7. Apr 9, 2014 #6
    Also, Fs1 is missing because it passes through the pivot. So the torque it's producing is equal to zero.

If you want to show me a better approach please do. Thanks :)

8. Apr 9, 2014 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not according to what you posted. You have one spring at the right hand end, one spring at some unknown distance from the left hand end, and a pivot at the left hand end.

9. Apr 9, 2014 #8
    My bad ... got it. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted