In a physics lab experiment, a compressed spring launches

In summary: So 1.6 would be the change in height for a spring compressed by a factor of 17.That's right. And...since the spring compresses by a factor of 17, the ball will travel a shorter distance (5.3m) before it hits the floor.
Bigworldjust

Homework Statement

In a physics lab experiment, a compressed spring launches a 40g metal ball at a 25 degree angle. Compressing the spring 17cm causes the ball to hit the floor 1.6m below the point at which it leaves the spring after traveling 5.3m horizontally.

What is the spring constant?
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

y = x tan Φ + ½ g (x/(Vo cos Φ))²
½ m Vo² - ½ k (Δx)² = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

x = Vo t cos Φ

t = x/(Vo cos Φ)

y = Vo t sin Φ + ½ g t²

y = Vo(x/(Vo cos Φ)) sin Φ + ½ g (x/(Vo cos Φ))²

y = x tan Φ + ½ g (x/(Vo cos Φ))²

-1.6 = 5.3 tan 25° + ½ (-9.8)(5.3/Vo)² sec² 25°

Vo = 6.41541 m/s

according to conservation of energy,

ΔE = 0

½ m Vo² - ½ k (Δx)² = 0

½ (0.040)(6.41541)² - ½ k (0.17)² = 0

k = 56.9654 N/m

Since the question asked for two significant figures I put in 57, and I got it wrong with an explanation saying that it was close to the answer but I may have made an error in significant figures or approximation. Could someone please tell me where my slight error is? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump, any help =/?

I have to hand the assignment in soon, so any urgent help would be appreciated, lol.

Spring potential energy isn't the only form of potential energy doing its thing here. Gravity is working against the spring's efforts...

gneill said:
Spring potential energy isn't the only form of potential energy doing its thing here. Gravity is working against the spring's efforts...

So how would I go about adding that in?

Bigworldjust said:
So how would I go about adding that in?

How much gravitational PE is involved during the launch while the ball is in the launcher? Does that PE get added to the ball's KE or stolen from it?

gneill said:
How much gravitational PE is involved during the launch while the ball is in the launcher? Does that PE get added to the ball's KE or stolen from it?

Hmm, I'm not sure, lol. Wouldn't the PE be converted to KE?

When you throw a ball into the air, does change in gravitational PE add to or subtract from the ball's speed? (Does it go faster as it rises, or does it slow down?)

gneill said:
When you throw a ball into the air, does change in gravitational PE add to or subtract from the ball's speed? (Does it go faster as it rises, or does it slow down?)

It would be slowing down as it rises so you would subtract the PE from the ball's speed?

Bigworldjust said:
It would be slowing down as it rises so you would subtract the PE from the ball's speed?
Yes. (Technically, the ball's KE is being converted into gravitational PE as it rises in the gravitational field).

gneill said:
Yes. (Technically, the ball's KE is being converted into gravitational PE as it rises in the gravitational field).

Ah okay, how would I calculate the PE in this case?

Bigworldjust said:
Ah okay, how would I calculate the PE in this case?

The change in gravitational PE is m*g*Δh

gneill said:
The change in gravitational PE is m*g*Δh

Alright so that would be .04*9.8*1.6?

Bigworldjust said:
Alright so that would be .04*9.8*1.6?

No, you're only interested in the PE associated with the launch. You've determined what KE the ball should have when it comes out of the launcher, so you're done with the all the rest of the trajectory. You have to concentrate on how to get the launcher to produce the required KE in the ball.

Think of it this way, The PE stored in the spring is going to end up in two places. One is the (desired) KE of the ball so that it can carry out its required trajectory, and the other is the increase in PE the ball obtains during the launch process (while it is being launched).

gneill said:
No, you're only interested in the PE associated with the launch. You've determined what KE the ball should have when it comes out of the launcher, so you're done with the all the rest of the trajectory. You have to concentrate on how to get the launcher to produce the required KE in the ball.

Think of it this way, The PE stored in the spring is going to end up in two places. One is the (desired) KE of the ball so that it can carry out its required trajectory, and the other is the increase in PE the ball obtains during the launch process (while it is being launched).

So you don't use 1.6 as the change in height? Would you use 17cm because of compressing the spring?

Bigworldjust said:
So you don't use 1.6 as the change in height? Would you use 17cm because of compressing the spring?

That's right. And you don't use all of the 17cm either... the spring is at a 25° angle, so the change in height of the ball will not be the full 17cm.

gneill said:
That's right. And you don't use all of the 17cm either... the spring is at a 25° angle, so the change in height of the ball will not be the full 17cm.

Alright so I would do .17cos(25) to get .154 plug that into m*g*h to get .060368 and subtract that from Vo to get 6.355042 and plug that into get:

½ (0.040)(6.355042)² - ½ k (0.17)² = 0

And than finally to arrive at k to be 56 N/m instead?

Bigworldjust said:
Alright so I would do .17cos(25) to get .154 plug that into m*g*h to get .060368 and subtract that from Vo to get 6.355042 and plug that into get:

½ (0.040)(6.355042)² - ½ k (0.17)² = 0

And than finally to arrive at k to be 56 N/m instead?

Cosine gives horizontal displacement, not vertical. Check your sketch (you did make a sketch, right? :smile:) You want to find out how much energy gets "lost" to PE when the ball changes height within the launcher. You still want the ball to have the correct KE when it leaves the launcher so that its "initial" velocity will be as you calculated. That is necessary if the original trajectory is to be followed. So leave Vo and KE alone. Deal with adjusting the spring PE to allow for the loss to gravitational PE.

mgh yields an energy (Joules), not a velocity. So you can't just add or subtract it from velocity -- you can add or subtract it from KE's or PE's though :wink:

1. How does a compressed spring launch an object in a physics lab experiment?

When a spring is compressed, it stores potential energy. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released, causing the object attached to the spring to launch forward. This is due to the law of conservation of energy.

2. What is the relationship between the compression of a spring and the distance an object will launch?

The distance an object will launch is directly proportional to the compression of the spring. This means that the more the spring is compressed, the further the object will launch.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the launch distance in a compressed spring experiment?

The mass of the object does not affect the launch distance in a compressed spring experiment. This is because the potential energy stored in the spring is independent of the mass of the object.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the launch distance in a compressed spring experiment?

The accuracy of the launch distance can be affected by factors such as the initial compression of the spring, the surface the object is launched on, and air resistance. It is important to control these factors in order to obtain accurate results.

5. Can a compressed spring experiment be used to study other physics concepts?

Yes, compressed spring experiments can be used to study concepts such as potential and kinetic energy, conservation of energy, and simple harmonic motion. They can also be used to calculate the spring constant and determine the relationship between force and displacement in a spring.