How do I find conversions for a reaction with phosphoric acid?

In summary: Nah, what you wrote is perfectly valid, there is no simple answer here and unless someone works with exactly such mixtures and has some hands on experience it is pretty hard to add something.
Rub3y
TL;DR Summary
Salts and oxides react with phosphoric acid. How do I get conversion %?
I have a solid ash mix containing oxides(ZnO, NiO, MgO, Cr2O3, etc.) and salts (Na2SO4, K2SO4, apatite, etc.). I am supposed to write all of the reactions with phosphoric acid (should be between 1 and 2 mol/l) and put it in a simulation for mass and energy balances. But since phosphoric acid is a weak acid, this stuff doesn't 100% convert, right? Or maybe not at all...? I can look for the reactions no problem, but I have no idea how I would search for the conversion %. Can I maybe make some assumptions fe conversion of everything is 50%. Can anyone give me some tips on how I best handle this or which assumptions I can make?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's hard to tell. In the end, the conversion (yield) can only be determined experimentally. Stoichiometrically, you simply have to write and balance the equation(s). Phosphoric acid is a weak acid, so you are correct in that it doesn't fully dissociate in water, but this does not mean that the parts that do come from dissociation do not fully react with the other reactants (at least this is a decent assumption).

Mayhem said:
It's hard to tell. In the end, the conversion (yield) can only be determined experimentally. Stoichiometrically, you simply have to write and balance the equation(s). Phosphoric acid is a weak acid, so you are correct in that it doesn't fully dissociate in water, but this does not mean that the parts that do come from dissociation do not fully react with the other reactants (at least this is a decent assumption).
Excellent idea! Exactly what I needed.

Rub3y said:
Excellent idea! Exactly what I needed.
I hope what I said was clear. Again I would probably run it by @Borek or another experienced chemist. My knowledge of inorganic chemistry is honestly... lacking.

Mayhem said:
I hope what I said was clear. Again I would probably run it by @Borek or another experienced chemist. My knowledge of inorganic chemistry is honestly... lacking.

Nah, what you wrote is perfectly valid, there is no simple answer here and unless someone works with exactly such mixtures and has some hands on experience it is pretty hard to add something.

Likes Mayhem

1. What is the purpose of finding conversions for a reaction with phosphoric acid?

The purpose of finding conversions for a reaction with phosphoric acid is to determine the amount of reactants and products involved in the reaction, as well as the efficiency of the reaction. This information can be used to optimize the reaction conditions and improve its yield.

2. How do I calculate conversions for a reaction with phosphoric acid?

To calculate conversions for a reaction with phosphoric acid, you will need to know the initial and final concentrations of the reactants and products. Then, use the formula: Conversion = (Final concentration - Initial concentration) / Initial concentration x 100%. This will give you the percentage of reactant that has been converted into product.

3. What factors can affect the conversions of a reaction with phosphoric acid?

There are several factors that can affect the conversions of a reaction with phosphoric acid, such as temperature, pH, concentration of reactants and products, presence of catalysts, and reaction time. These factors can influence the rate of the reaction and the equilibrium position, ultimately affecting the conversions.

4. How can I improve the conversions of a reaction with phosphoric acid?

To improve the conversions of a reaction with phosphoric acid, you can adjust the reaction conditions, such as temperature, pH, and concentration of reactants and products. You can also use catalysts to speed up the reaction and increase its efficiency. Additionally, optimizing the reaction time and removing any impurities can also improve the conversions.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with phosphoric acid in a reaction?

Yes, there are several safety precautions you should take when working with phosphoric acid in a reaction. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat, working in a well-ventilated area, and avoiding contact with skin and eyes. It is also important to follow proper handling and disposal procedures to prevent any accidents or harm to yourself and others.