Balancing reading the textbook and working problems

In summary, it is important to work lots of problems when learning math and physics. However, if you haven't learned the material from reading the textbook sections, then it is also important to have a light reading of the text followed by working the problems.
ZetaOfThree
Gold Member
Obviously, it is important to work lots of problems when learning math and physics. At the same time, it's useless if you haven't learned the material from reading the textbook sections. I can see two extreme approaches to studying out of a textbook. The first is reading the textbook extremely diligently, understanding every single word and then not working any problems. The other is not reading the textbook at all and skipping right to problems and working them all. What do you think is the best balance between these two extremes when studying out of a textbook, especially when trying to keep up with a fast-paced course? I haven't quite figured out what works best for me yet, so I'm very interested to hear what works best for you.

Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZetaOfThree said:
Obviously, it is important to work lots of problems when learning math and physics. At the same time, it's useless if you haven't learned the material from reading the textbook sections. I can see two extreme approaches to studying out of a textbook. The first is reading the textbook extremely diligently, understanding every single word and then not working any problems. The other is not reading the textbook at all and skipping right to problems and working them all. What do you think is the best balance between these two extremes when studying out of a textbook, especially when trying to keep up with a fast-paced course? I haven't quite figured out what works best for me yet, so I'm very interested to hear what works best for you.

Thanks in advanced.
I don't know if it helps you, but I worked the problems and I skipped way ahead of my classmates. Of course this only works if you work the problems correctly.

I think it is a very subjective decision. It depends entirely on a person's learning style. Personally, I found that a light reading of the material followed by working a lot of problems gave me the best understanding of the material, probably much like what Evo is reporting, but I see no reason why my personal experience should extrapolate to everyone. In fact, I'd be VERY surprised if it did.

Likes smashueatu
phinds said:
I found that a light reading of the material followed by working a lot of problems gave me the best understanding of the material
That's the approach I've been taking recently. However, I have yet decided whether or not it's the best approach yet. To be honest, I just enjoy working problems more than I enjoy reading the textbook passages.

ZetaOfThree said:
That's the approach I've been taking recently. However, I have yet decided whether or not it's the best approach yet. To be honest, I just enjoy working problems more than I enjoy reading the textbook passages.

As phinds said, this depends on you. I use his approach as well, but if you get stuck on a problem, then it helps to go back to the chapter and reread the area that concerns the problem's concepts. The concept you get stuck on really highlights what you don't know.

I try to understand every step they take in the text first, then I attempt the problems.
For mathematically sophisticated courses this helps me a lot.

An example is when the other day we got an exercise about electromagnetism in form notation.
A sub question demanded us to calculate the electric and magnetic charges of the system.
What did I do? I applied Stokes theorem and said, all is zero in this case.
I was wrong, because of a more technical requirement.
The person in charge of the exercise did this to show that some caution is needed.
That was yet again a reminder of why some understanding is important before you start the problems.

Likes ZetaOfThree

1. How much time should I spend reading the textbook versus working problems?

The amount of time spent on reading the textbook versus working problems can vary depending on the individual and the subject. Generally, it is recommended to spend more time on working problems as this helps reinforce the concepts and improve understanding. A good rule of thumb is to spend at least 2/3 of your study time on working problems.

2. Can I just read the textbook and not work on problems?

While reading the textbook can give you a basic understanding of the concepts, it is not enough to fully grasp the material. Working problems allows you to apply the concepts and identify any gaps in your understanding. It is important to work on problems in order to truly understand and retain the information.

3. Should I read the textbook first or work on problems first?

This can vary depending on personal preference and learning style. Some may find it beneficial to read the textbook first to gain an understanding of the material before working on problems. Others may prefer to work on problems first to identify any areas of confusion and then refer to the textbook for clarification. It is recommended to try both methods and see which works best for you.

4. How do I know if I am understanding the material from reading the textbook and working problems?

One way to gauge your understanding is to regularly check and see if you can explain the concepts in your own words without looking at the textbook. You can also track your progress by practicing different types of problems and seeing if you can solve them correctly without referencing the textbook. If you are consistently able to do so, it is a good sign that you have a solid understanding of the material.

5. Can I skip reading the textbook and just work on problems?

While it is possible to solely work on problems and still understand the material, it is not recommended. Reading the textbook provides context and explanation for the problems, which can help you better understand the concepts and solve problems more effectively. It is important to have a balance between reading the textbook and working problems in order to fully grasp the material.