Ball bounces several times on an inclined plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
carlyn medona

Homework Statement



A ball falls on an inclined plane of inclination theta from a
height h above the point of impact and makes a perfectly
elastic collision. Where will it hit the plane again ?
Solve the previous problem if the coefficient of restitution
is e. Use theta = 45°, e = .75 and h = 5 m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I was able to solve first part of the problem and got the distance along the incline to be =8hsinθ. For second part I am getting angle of reflection of ball with normal to be 53 degree but the value in my text is 37degree. but I don't think the angle should be less than theta
 
Physics news on Phys.org
perfectly elastic collision
coefficient of restitution is e.
e = 0.75
So is it perfectly elastic or not?
 
yrjosmiel said:
So is it perfectly elastic or not?
They want it solved twice. Once perfectly elastic then again with e=0.75.
 
carlyn medona said:
angle of reflection of ball with normal to be 53 degree but the value in my text is 37degree. but I don't think the angle should be less than theta
You are correct. If e < 1 then the angle to the normal of the reflection will be greater than the incident angle to the normal.
I assume you noticed that 37=90-53.
 
okay i finally solved it and got a value of 18.5 m along the incline, thanks for the help.
 
carlyn medona said:
okay i finally solved it and got a value of 18.5 m along the incline, thanks for the help.
Good. (I get 18.56.)