Ball in Free Fall, Average Force Created on Impact (Bounce Up)

In summary, a 0.422 kg ball falls from a height of 29.8 m and rebounds to a height of 21.7 m. The contact between the ball and ground lasts 1.83 ms. To determine the average force exerted on the ball, the velocity of the ball at impact and as it leaves the ground on the rebound can be calculated using kinematic equations. The formula F_net=change in momentum/change in time can then be applied during the period of contact.
leejqs

Homework Statement

After falling from rest at a height of 29.8 m, a 0.422 kg ball rebounds upward, reaching a height of 21.7 m. If the contact between ball and ground lasted 1.83 ms, what average force was exerted on the ball?

Homework Equations

Change in momentum (p) = Fnet* Change in Time
FGrav=m*g
Delta y = Vavg,y*Change in Time

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand all of these formulas, but I am not quite sure where the 1.83 ms goes as far as which time it is actually describing in a specific formula. I know that the average velocity on the way down is actually just the final velocity divided by 2, since the initial velocity is 0... I feel like I'm on the brink of solving this but I'm not quite sure where to go next..

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the velocity of the ball at impact, as it hits the ground? What is its velocity just as it leaves the ground on the rebound? You can use the kinematic equations applied to the ball in flight to get these values. Once you have found them, you can use your F_net=change in momnentum/change in time applied during the period of contact.

What is "Ball in Free Fall"?

"Ball in Free Fall" refers to the motion of a ball as it falls towards the ground under the influence of gravity, with no other forces acting on it.

What is the average force created on impact when a ball bounces up?

The average force created on impact when a ball bounces up depends on various factors such as the mass and velocity of the ball, the surface it bounces off of, and the elasticity of the ball. This force can be calculated using the equation F = mΔv/Δt, where F is the average force, m is the mass of the ball, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time it takes for the ball to bounce up.

How does the height from which a ball is dropped affect the average force created on impact?

The height from which a ball is dropped does not directly affect the average force created on impact when it bounces up. However, it can affect the initial velocity of the ball, which in turn can impact the average force. A ball dropped from a higher height will have a higher initial velocity, resulting in a larger change in velocity and potentially a higher average force.

What is the relationship between the elasticity of a ball and the average force created on impact?

The elasticity of a ball is a measure of how much it can deform and return to its original shape. The more elastic a ball is, the more it can compress and bounce back, resulting in a smaller change in velocity and a lower average force on impact. Conversely, a less elastic ball will deform less and experience a larger change in velocity, resulting in a higher average force on impact.

How does air resistance affect the motion of a ball in free fall?

Air resistance can negatively affect the motion of a ball in free fall by slowing it down. As the ball falls, it experiences a force due to air resistance that opposes its motion, leading to a decrease in velocity and a shorter distance traveled. This can impact the average force created on impact when the ball bounces up.