Ball Rolls off of a circle :O PROBLEM

In summary, the problem involves a ball at rest on a circle that begins to roll and disconnects from the circle at a certain point. The given information includes the height and diameter of the circle, initial velocity of the ball, and its mass. The relative equations include conservation of energy and possibly the centripetal force formula. The goal is to find the point where the ball disconnects from the circle. To solve this, the forces acting on the ball should be considered, including the centripetal force needed to keep the ball on the circle and the forces exerted on the ball. By using Newton's laws and kinematics, the velocity needed to keep the ball on the circle can be calculated and compared to the actual velocity at the
Plutonium88
Ball Rolls off of a circle :O! PROBLEM!

So the problem is, a ball at zero velocity begins to roll on a circle. At a certain point the ball and the circle "DISCONNECT". There is a height x from the roof to the point it disconnects.

Given Information. Height X, Diameter D of circle, Vi=0, r=1/2D Mo=Mass Of The ball

http://postimage.org/image/a91pl12ll/

Relative Equations:
Conservation Of Energy
-Maybe centripetal force formula (Fc=Fg,ffr,)
-

My attempt:

i believe that at the point the ball ejects from the surface of the big circle, that the FN = 0 because it isn't going to be connected anymore... (CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG)

- I feel like i don't have enough information, (obviously i do) but maybe i do not have the skills... I was wondering if some one could lead me in the right direction...

Now ET1=energy of the system at the top at rest
ET2=energy of the system at the point it detaches...

Et1=Et2
mgD=mgD-mgX+1/2mov2^2 -simplify

X = V2^2/2g

Now obviously I'm left with a problem with two unknowns... I've been drawing triangles all over this circle and trying to figure out how i can get an angle.. I figured out it makes an isosceles triangle if you connect the radius twice to the the point at which it detaches... But still i don't know how to get an angle.. I think i need to learn radiants(Or would that even help me)?

Anyways I'm stuck just need a little hint, please don't answer the whole problem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Plutonium88 said:
So the problem is, a ball at zero velocity begins to roll on a circle. At a certain point the ball and the circle "DISCONNECT". There is a height x from the roof to the point it disconnects.

Given Information. Height X, Diameter D of circle, Vi=0, r=1/2D Mo=Mass Of The ball

http://postimage.org/image/a91pl12ll/

Relative Equations:
Conservation Of Energy
-Maybe centripetal force formula (Fc=Fg,ffr,)
-

My attempt:

i believe that at the point the ball ejects from the surface of the big circle, that the FN = 0 because it isn't going to be connected anymore... (CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG)

- I feel like i don't have enough information, (obviously i do) but maybe i do not have the skills... I was wondering if some one could lead me in the right direction...

Now ET1=energy of the system at the top at rest
ET2=energy of the system at the point it detaches...

Et1=Et2
mgD=mgD-mgX+1/2mov2^2 -simplify

X = V2^2/2g

Now obviously I'm left with a problem with two unknowns... I've been drawing triangles all over this circle and trying to figure out how i can get an angle.. I figured out it makes an isosceles triangle if you connect the radius twice to the the point at which it detaches... But still i don't know how to get an angle.. I think i need to learn radiants(Or would that even help me)?

Anyways I'm stuck just need a little hint, please don't answer the whole problem

Something to contemplate..

If at any point the circle could magically disappear, the ball would become a projectile - following a parabolic path.

At the point where it leaves the circle, the potential parabolic path is presumably parallel to the circle at the time.

So the question is to find out where it disconnects I assume??

Thinking about it, the point where it will leave the circle is going to be the point where the velocity exceeds the velocity needed to keep the object in the at circle (and you have a formula that allows you to calculate that) so why not calculate the velocity needed to keep the object in that circle and find out at what point, using energy, it will equal that value because at the point where it exceeds that value , it will leave the circle. Of course you may need Newton's laws and kinemeatics to get this info.

Hi Plutonium,

You made a very nice picture (with the ball changing shape as moving downward, it must have some deeper meaning... )

Draw the forces acting on the ball, and ask yourself the questions:

What force ensures motion along a circle of radius R with velocity v? What is the magnitude and direction of this force? Can the forces exerted on the ball result in the appropriate force that keeps the ball on track?

ehild

as it is important for me to figure it out on my own..Your approach is correct so far. To solve for the angle, you can use the fact that the ball rolls off the circle at the point where the normal force becomes zero. This means that the centripetal force (Fc) must equal the force of gravity (Fg) at that point. So you can set up the equation Fc=Fg and solve for the angle.

Fc=Fg can also be written as mv^2/r=mgcosθ, where θ is the angle you are trying to find. You already have values for m, v, and r, so you can solve for cosθ and then use inverse cosine to find the angle.

Another approach is to use conservation of angular momentum. At the top of the circle, the ball has zero angular momentum, but at the point where it rolls off, it has some angular momentum due to its rotational motion. You can set the initial angular momentum equal to the final angular momentum and solve for the angle. This approach would require you to use the moment of inertia of a rolling ball, which you can look up or calculate using the parallel axis theorem.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Keep in mind that there may be multiple ways to solve this problem and it's important to understand the concepts behind the equations you are using. Good luck!

1. What is the "Ball Rolls off of a circle :O" problem?

The "Ball Rolls off of a circle :O" problem is a physics problem that involves a ball rolling off the edge of a circle due to the force of gravity. It is often used as an example to demonstrate the concepts of circular motion and projectile motion.

2. Why does the ball roll off of the circle?

The ball rolls off of the circle due to the force of gravity acting on it. As the ball reaches the edge of the circle, it is no longer supported by the surface of the circle and begins to fall towards the ground. This results in the ball following a curved path known as a parabola.

3. How is the speed of the ball related to the distance it rolls off the circle?

The speed of the ball is directly related to the distance it rolls off the circle. The faster the ball is rolling on the circle, the farther it will travel before hitting the ground. This is because the ball has a greater momentum and inertia, making it more difficult for gravity to pull it towards the ground.

4. What factors affect the outcome of the "Ball Rolls off of a circle :O" problem?

The outcome of the "Ball Rolls off of a circle :O" problem is affected by several factors, including the angle at which the ball rolls off the circle, the height of the circle, the initial speed of the ball, and the force of gravity. These factors can all impact the trajectory and distance traveled by the ball.

5. How is the "Ball Rolls off of a circle :O" problem relevant in real-life situations?

The "Ball Rolls off of a circle :O" problem is relevant in real-life situations because it demonstrates the principles of circular motion and projectile motion, which are important in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. Understanding these concepts can help in designing structures and machines, as well as predicting the motion of objects in various scenarios.