Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Baltimore riots after Freddie Gray funeral

1. Apr 28, 2015 #1

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police response
    http://news.yahoo.com/riots-baltimore-raise-questions-police-response-072648181.html [Broken]

Social media captures fiery images of Baltimore riots
    http://news.yahoo.com/social-media-reaction-to-baltimore-unrest-221502252.html

Anger and protesting are justified, but rioting and looting is not. Arson and destruction of property won't resurrect Freddie Gray, won't bring justice; they are counterproductive.

Hey Baltimore, What's Going On?!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2015 #2
    Counterproductive? Why are you assuming that there is some far reaching aim beyond pleasure of "arson and destruction of property"? (except maybe not mentioned pleasure from brawl and looting)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Apr 28, 2015 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe rioters believe they have exhausted the official channels, that working within the system does not change things.

5. Apr 28, 2015 #4
    Hard to say. Any evidence that any of actual rioters tried official channels?

Or if we're playing white guilt, I've got a better suggestion - it's just their tribal warfare tradition towards which we're insensitive? :D
    (actually I have such [edit: tribal warfare tradition] to much smaller extend among so called football fans and nationalists in my country)

6. Apr 28, 2015 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A black male has a 1-in-3 chance of going to prison in his life, there have been incidents of police mistreatment for many years, many incidents of police shootings, all of this has been going on for many years with little improvement; it is not even being addressed when the issue is raised. And there are people who make a living as agitators of this anger.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  7. Apr 28, 2015 #6
    There are at least a dozen major issues that contribute to this societal decay. A comprehensive solution is needed, but I am not convinced such a plan can be correctly conceived or implemented.

8. Apr 28, 2015 #7

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Don't think the 'riot' had anything to do with the Freddie Gray protest. Most of the people in the town were horrified by what happened and most didn't like what they saw their children doing.

I've been in protest for wrongs in the 1960's, we didn't throw rocks at the police, loot, steal and burn down property. Those that did were criminals in a riot, period. People like the mom in the video know the difference.

9. Apr 28, 2015 #8
    Yes, I know the stats. Shall US gov set free some Blacks and instead imprison some Asians to keep racial quota right? ;)

And more seriously - gov has got limited devices here, especially those that can work quickly (yes, in long run some mixture of better education starting at kindergarten with resocialization may work). I mean the victimisation rates show that Blacks are overrepresented as both crime perpetrators and victims. If gov arrests less Blacks, would the remaining ones be really better off?

10. Apr 28, 2015 #9
    I may point out govs that were overthrown by people protesting in more peaceful manner. (like Velvet Revolution in Czechoslovakia or Orange Revolution in Ukraine)

11. Apr 28, 2015 #10

mheslep

Gold Member

I'm skeptical. Would you have a source for the contention that that there's "little improvement" over time or that police abuse is not addressed, as a general issue. Because if its not true, then you're aiding the agitators:

12. Apr 28, 2015 #11

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People react based on_ their perception_ of what is true, not on what is true or not.

EDIT:Still, e.g.:
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...k-the-black-white-gap-in-incarceration-rates/

13. Apr 28, 2015 #12

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those were days of economic expansion, where you could take years off the job market, come back and find a reasonable job, with barely a high school degree. That takes the edge of to a good degree.

14. Apr 28, 2015 #13

mheslep

Gold Member

Agreed. Your earlier post was an assertion of fact though.

15. Apr 28, 2015 #14

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Clearly the demonstrators have allowed their justified anger to overcome what little sense they may have had. Burning down your own neighborhood is not really a smart move. Now if they had gone over to the mayors neighborhood and burned IT down, I could credit them with some intelligence, even while wishing to see them all in jail.

16. Apr 28, 2015 #15

mheslep

Gold Member

and Jim Crow laws, segregated schools, and common, murderous police injustice against minorities from all-white police forces.

17. Apr 28, 2015 #16
    I'd wager that the youths that took part in the violence are not in the top of their class.

18. Apr 28, 2015 #17

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right, I will look for more data; I edited one link in. Still, the 1/3 probability I way too high.

19. Apr 28, 2015 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am stating that the white protesters, which I assume NSA spook to be, who never threw rocks, nor burnt/destroyed property had a nice cushion to fall back on: go protest, spend a few years finding yourself, then go back and make a reasonable living. Of course different story for black protestors. It takes the edge of to good degree to know that after your protests, without the need to go to school and spend $50,000 + in debt, you will likely find a decent job . This is way too rare nowadays, and adds to the general anxiety over race issues.

20. Apr 28, 2015 #19

mheslep

Gold Member

People have had suffered much worse and found away to protest without burning things down and inflicting grievous injury.

130820202733-mlk-dream-story-top.jpg

The riots in Baltimore particularly incense me. They're due ostensibly to the police paddy-wagon roundabout road trip caused death of Gray, which is tragic and if found malicious should have criminal consequences. I had a close friend, female, white, who was subject to similar treatment some many years ago by Washington DC police officers who picked her and another woman up outside a party for some minor or bogus infringement and hauled them at speed violently around in the back of a paddy wagon, apparently not an uncommon tool of the cops. The ride beat both women up good with bruises and cuts. The incident was infuriating though nobody died. Nor in response did anyone start burning up police cars and buildings or putting cops in the hospital, nor did they for the several hundred non-black US residents killed by police (reported) in a given year or the 32 non-black police officers killed in a given year.

21. Apr 28, 2015 #20
    Different times, different people. The black family was better put together back then. Now it's a total disaster.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook