Band diagram, conductivity tensor

Hello!

Does anyone have an idea of how can I obtain information from a band diagram about the directions along which the system conducts best and worst ?

Thank you in advanced! :)

HAYAO

Gold Member
Do you mean Fermi surfaces?

I mean, I have a E vs k space diagram like this one, for example,

graphene_bs_9x9_dft.png

(but imagine that I only have one line). I know that the velocity of the electron can be described as dE/dk. So that I can relate the different slopes of each part of my line with the velocity. At the same time, I know that the conductivity tensor depends on this velocity. Therefore, the higher the velocity the higher the conductivity. But now, how can I know the directions along which the system conducts best and worst (in the reciprocal space) and transform them to the real space?

(I hope I've explained myself well)

Attachments

Do you mean the resistivity along any direction? Something relevant would be :$$\mathbf{j}=\mathbf{\sigma}\cdot\mathbf{E}$$$$\mathbf{E}=\mathbf{\sigma}^{-1}\cdot\mathbf{j}=\rho\cdot\mathbf{j}$$$$\mathbf{j}_{\text{n}}=(-e)\int_{\text{occupied}}f(\epsilon_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k}))\frac{d\mathbf{k}}{4\pi^3}\mathbf{v}_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k})\to-ne\mathbf{v}_{\text{drift}}$$Are these thing what you're looking for?