1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Banked turns; do we use the x component of normal force or gravity?

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    I am confused on what the correct way to do this is.

In my old physics textbooks, they say that the x component of gravity is responsible for the centripetal force.

However, on the internet and for more advanced topics they say it is the x component of normal force that is responsible for the centripetal force.

Analyzing this myself, it seems like it does not matter which method is used, as long as you pick a specific viewpoint and stick to it.

Does this hold true? Or is one of them more correct than the other? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2
    It depends on your frame of reference. In a frame of reference with a vertical y-axis, gravity is vertical and has no x component, while the road is not horizontal, so the normal force has an x component.

In a frame of reference with an y axis normal to the road, the normal force doesn't have an x component, but gravity does

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3
    Ah, thank you for clearing this up. It is what I thought.

EDIT: Just to add another question. If the normal force is the Y axis, then gravities X component seems to align perfectly with the road, directly parallel

However, if gravity is the Y axis then it doesnt seem like the normal forces X component is perfectly parallel to the road.

Wouldnt something like that matter?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook