Barometric formula to calculate ground pressure

In summary: Yeah, just log.Thanks!In summary, the pressure at the surface of the planet is 2.0x10^5 Pa. It is safe for the spacecraft to land assuming that the atmosphere is thin and isothermal and the spacecraft can withstand an external pressure of 1.0x10^7 Pa.
shyguy79

Homework Statement

A spacecraft approaches the surface of an unfamiliar planet and finds that the pressure of the atmosphere 50 km above the surface is 2.0 × 10^5 Pa. As the spacecraft descends, it is found that the pressure of the atmosphere 40 km above the surface increases to 5.0 × 10^5 Pa. Estimate the pressure at the surface of the planet and hence decide whether it is safe for the spacecraft to land, assuming that the atmosphere is thin and isothermal, and that the spacecraft can withstand an external pressure of 1.0 × 10^7 Pa.

Homework Equations

P(z) = P(0)e^(-z/y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that pressure decreases exponentially with the increase in height

Any pointers on where to start would be appreciated as always!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shyguy79 said:

Homework Equations

P(z) = P(0)e^(-z/y)
Okay, so at an altitude of 40 km, that equation becomes ________?
And at 50 km, it becomes _______?

So at 40km:

(5x10^5 Pa) = P(0) e^(-40^3/γ)

and at 50km:

(2x10^5 Pa) = P(0) e^(-50x10^3/γ)

...? do I need to find the scale height (γ)? If so wouldn't be different every time?

Okay, good, you now have two equations in two unknowns -- P(0) and γ. The scale height γ is a constant.

What methods do you know about solving two equations in two unknowns?

Substitution? But I don't know any of the values to calculate y?

The "substitution" method of solving a system of two equations means you solve one equation for P(0), then substitute that into the other equation in place of its P(0). You end up with one equation with one unknown. Another approach would be to divide one equation by the other - the P(0) will cancel out. Then you could solve for the γ.

Your P(z) = P(0)e^(-z/y) is a mathematical model for the pressure. It has two parameters, P(0) and y, that can be found by using the pressure measurements. Once you have them you can use the model to find the pressure at any height.

Just got your message will have a look now thank you very much for your time on this both of you :smile: :!)

ok so it works out that the scale height (y) = 25000m and hence pressure at height 0m is P(0) = 2.5x10^6Pa... so the spaceship survives

If anyone else has done the math are my answers spot on? They look plausible...

knowing that pressure increases expotentially you can check your answer. in 1 drop of 10 km pressure increases by what? ( i would recommend pg 166, qu 4.3 of your course book) as for calculating for the symbol y I would suggest looking at part 'a' of the assignment question.

Thanks!

I don't get those values for P(0) and y. Maybe show your work so we can sort it out.
I checked my model with its different values and it does give 200 kPa at 50 km. Does yours?

Thanks for checking - yeah my figures just don't add up :-(

Ok here is my working...

To work out y: where P(z2) = 2.0x10^5Pa, z2 = 50x10^3m, P(z1) = 5.0x10^5Pa and z1 = 40x10^5

---------------------------------------------

Divide P(z2) by P(z1) and rearrange to get y:

P(z2)/P(z1) = P(0)e^(-z2/y) / P(0)e^(-z1/y)

P(z2)/P(z1) = e^(-z2/y) / e^(-z1/y) ****** P(0) cancels

P(z2)/P(z1) = e^((-z2/y)-(-z1/y))

P(z2)/P(z1) = e^(-(z2+z1)/y)

log (P(z2)/P(z1)) = -(z2+z1)/y

y = -(z2+z1) / log (P(z2)/P(z1))

substitute in the values above:

y = -(50x10^3m + 40x10^3m) / log (2.0x10^5Pa)/(5.0x10^5Pa))

Scale height (y) = 25x10^3 m

--------------------------------------------

Ok, so now using this as the value of y and using the equation

P(z) = P(0)e^(-z/y) ****** rearranged for P(0)

P(z) / e^(-z/y) = P(0)

Using the values at z2

2.0x10^5 Pa / e^(-(50.0x10^3 m / 25.0x10^3 Pa)) = 1.5 x 10^6 Pa (not my original)

--------------------------------------------

Please help!

Last edited:
Found my error - used log instead of ln! Don't I feel stupid?? It all tallies up now...

Thank you for all your help!

Im glad youve got a different answer, cause so did I. I can stop panicing and double and treble checking my answer now.

I thought I would have a go at this but am stuck on how you got (y) = 25x10^3 m from y = -(50x10^3m + 40x10^3m) / log (2.0x10^5Pa)/(5.0x10^5Pa)) either way using log of ln

If anyone one could solve this cheers

Tom

You get it if you use the natural log instead of log...

Incidentally thank you to everyone who helped I got 92% on this assignment

shyguy79 said:
You get it if you use the natural log instead of log...

Incidentally thank you to everyone who helped I got 92% on this assignment

SO what did y = -(50x10^3m + 40x10^3m) / log (2.0x10^5Pa)/(5.0x10^5Pa)) change to etc

Thanks. and do you just mean ln instead of log

Also is it not y = -(50x10^3m - 40x10^3m) / log (2.0x10^5Pa)/(5.0x10^5Pa))

instead of y = -(50x10^3m + 40x10^3m) / log (2.0x10^5Pa)/(5.0x10^5Pa))

Im thinking the pressure at the surface is 1.95*10^7 but this is obtained from other sources

Will dig out my assignment...

There you go...

8b0396d8.jpg

For the final paragraph just did a little rearranging of the formula

Last edited:

1. What is the barometric formula used for?

The barometric formula is used to calculate the pressure exerted by the Earth's atmosphere at a certain altitude. It takes into account factors such as temperature, gravity, and the composition of the atmosphere to determine the pressure at a given height.

2. How is the barometric formula derived?

The barometric formula was derived by French scientist Blaise Pascal in the 17th century, and later refined by English scientist Robert Boyle. It is based on the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in a gas.

3. What units are used in the barometric formula?

The barometric formula typically uses units of pressure in either Pascals (Pa) or millibars (mb), and altitude in either meters (m) or feet (ft). However, other units such as inches of mercury (inHg) and kilometers (km) can also be used.

4. How accurate is the barometric formula?

The barometric formula is considered to be a relatively accurate way to estimate ground pressure at different altitudes, but it does have limitations. It assumes a constant temperature gradient and a uniform atmosphere, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Other factors such as wind and humidity can also affect ground pressure.

5. Can the barometric formula be used for any altitude?

No, the barometric formula is only applicable for altitudes within the Earth's atmosphere. It becomes less accurate at higher altitudes and may not be suitable for calculating pressure in outer space or on other planets with different atmospheric conditions.