Basic aerodynamics and mechanics

• Thread starter 0kensai0
  • Start date
I'm a Chemistry Postgrad. I wish to learn about the basics of flight, aerodynamics and mechanics merely as a hobby. I wish to learn about aircraft principles and calculations and how to determine whether a specific aircraft will fly and at what speeds given some measurements such as wing area and propellor speed or engine speed and hope to progress to more complicated flight systems such as turboprops or jet engines and helicopter flight mechanics

I was wondering which textbook would be a good starting point for me as I only have a basic physics background and have not studied anything in aero or mechanics engineering at all.

thanx b4hand

PS: I'm currently searching through both the net and my local university library but it would be nice to have a course recognise textbook as I feel they usually have a good structure about them to guide how my understanding should progress

intro to flight by anderson is a great resource, used it through senior year in aerospace engineering.
has basic aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, rockets, etc.

helicopters, on the other hand, are slightly more complicated. the basic principles, structure, propulsion etc... are relatively straightforward (relatively...) the stability and control, is not. almost always helicopters are unstable in all 3 axes, where airplanes (with the exception of modern fighters) are stable in all 3 axes

John D. Anderson is the king of flows. Also, if you dare to venture into how real life design is done on aircraft you might want to obtain a copy of "Computational Fluid Dynamics, The basics with applications" also by John D. Anderson.

Man I've given that guy a lot of money....
He thanks you! (Though he's hardly ever in his office on campus).