Basic algebra concept is puzzling me

In summary: Now if it was instead sin(5x), it would be 1/5. So, in summary, the basic algebra concept of adding square roots is based on the definition of multiplication, and for limit equations with trig functions, you can use substitution to find the limit.
TheKracken
basic algebra concept is puzzling me...

Homework Statement

I don't understand why √10-5 + √5 = 2√5
Could someone please explain this to me real quick...totaly forgot why this is :P

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

here I am! thoughts about it and I am still puzzled does it have anything to do with the fact that √10-5 =√5 and then we add another √5 to it and there is some rule that says that you take one of them away and just put a 2 infront of √5 and it is equivilant?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes. sqrt(5)+sqrt(5)=2*sqrt(5). Is that really something you forget? It's kind of the definition of multiplication.

its probably just all the √ and stuff...it often scares me and I think automaticaly different rules apply or something...

could someone explain limit equations with trig functions in them? I have no idea how to figure these out...for example:
limit as x->0 for x/sin3x

Last edited by a moderator:

TheKracken said:
its probably just all the √ and stuff...it often scares me and I think automaticaly different rules apply or something...

could someone explain limit equations with trig functions in them? I have no idea how to figure these out...for example:
limit as x->0 for x/sin3x

No, no different rules apply. For the second one, do you know limit as u->0 u/sin(u)=1? If so, put u=3x.

Dick said:
No, no different rules apply. For the second one, do you know limit as u->0 u/sin(u)=1? If so, put u=3x.

so the answer would be 1/3 yes?
now if it was instead sin 5x would it now be 1/5?
thank you for help!

TheKracken said:
I don't understand why √10-5 + √5 = 2√5

...does it have anything to do with the fact that √10-5 =√5

TheKracken,

you must use grouping symbols around this radicand, otherwise what
you have is

√(10) - 5 + √5 = 2√5, which is not what you meant.

TheKracken said:
so the answer would be 1/3 yes?
now if it was instead sin 5x would it now be 1/5?
thank you for help!

You're welcome. Sure. The answer is 1/3.

What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and describe relationships between variables. It is important because it allows us to solve complex mathematical problems and model real-world situations.

What are the basic algebraic operations?

The basic algebraic operations are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations can be used to combine numbers, variables, and terms to create algebraic expressions and solve equations.

How do I solve an algebraic equation?

To solve an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using the basic algebraic operations. The goal is to get the variable by itself on one side and all the numbers on the other side. Remember to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain balance.

What are the rules for solving algebraic equations?

The rules for solving algebraic equations are the same as the rules for solving any mathematical equation. You must perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, use the inverse operation to isolate the variable, and simplify the equation by combining like terms.

How can I improve my understanding of basic algebra concepts?

Practice and repetition are the best ways to improve your understanding of basic algebra concepts. Start with simple problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. You can also seek help from a tutor, online resources, or join a study group to get additional support and practice opportunities.