What Is the Impact of Mapping in Linear Transformations from P2 to P3?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Pouyan
Messages
103
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement



Let T: P2 --> P3 be the transformation that maps a polynomial p(t) into the polynomial (t+5)p(t).

a) find the image of p(t)= 2-t+(t^2)
b) Find the matrix for T relative to bases {1,t,t^2} and {1,t,t^2,t^3}.

Homework Equations


Given

The Attempt at a Solution


a) I know (t+5)p(t)=(t+5)(2-t+(t^2))= 10-3t+4(t^2)+(t^3)

b) I see in solution T(1) = (t+5) (1)= t+5
T(t) = (t+5)(t)
T(t^2)=(t+5)(t^2)
and so on ...

My question is why T(1)= 1 and T(t) = t ?! I see that T(1) means p(t)=1 or T(t)=p(t)=t but why is this so ?!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pouyan said:

Homework Statement



Let T: P2 --> P3 be the transformation that maps a polynomial p(t) into the polynomial (t+5)p(t).

a) find the image of p(t)= 2-t+(t^2)
b) Find the matrix for T relative to bases {1,t,t^2} and {1,t,t^2,t^3}.

Homework Equations


Given

The Attempt at a Solution


a) I know (t+5)p(t)=(t+5)(2-t+(t^2))= 10-3t+4(t^2)+(t^3)

b) I see in solution T(1) = (t+5) (1)= t+5
T(t) = (t+5)(t)
T(t^2)=(t+5)(t^2)
and so on ...

My question is why T(1)= 1 and T(t) = t ?! I see that T(1) means p(t)=1 or T(t)=p(t)=t but why is this so ?!
T(1) isn't equal to 1, nor is T(t) equal to t. Why do you think they are?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Pouyan
vela said:
T(1) isn't equal to 1, nor is T(t) equal to t. Why do you think they are?
I see in my solution B={1,t,t^2} and C={1,t,t^2,t^3} Since T(b1)=T(1)=(t+5)(1)=t+5, [T(b1)] relative to C =[5,1,0,0,]