1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projective Plane .. Cox et al - Section 8.1, Exs 5(a) & 5(b)

1. Jul 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am reading the undergraduate introduction to algebraic geometry entitled "Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms: An introduction to Computational Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra (Third Edition) by David Cox, John Little and Donal O'Shea ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 8, Section 1: The Projective Plane ... ... and need help getting started with Exercises 5(a) and 5(b) ... ...

Exercise 5 in Section 8.1 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=188679c2af2003c8b689ae9e31bef7ba.png

Can someone please help me to get started on Exercises 5(a) and 5(b) shown above ...

2. Relevant equations

The definitions 1, 2 and 3 in Cox et al Section 8.1 may be relevant ... see the text provided below ...

3. The attempt at a solution

I am very unsure how to start on this exercise ... but i suspect that the following transformation or map as given in Cox et al Section 8.1 directly after Definition 3 is involved:

##\mathbb{R}^2 \longrightarrow \mathbb{P}^2 ( \mathbb{R} ) ##

where ##(x, y) \in \mathbb{R}^2## is sent to the point ##p \in \mathbb{P}^2 ( \mathbb{R} )## whose homogeneous coordinates are ##(x, y, 1)##

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

======================================================================

To give readers of the above post some idea of the context of the exercise and also the notation I am providing some relevant text from Cox et al ... ... as follows:

?temp_hash=a85b650a1e3c7face457e0bf39da7bc0.png

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can have a go at (a).
    We want the equation to be compatible with the equation ##y=x^2## and we also want it to give a well-defined curve, which means it must be homogeneous in x,y and z.

A simple equation that satisfies both those is ##yz=x^2##. Then for ##z=1## this gives the original equation. Any point in ##\mathbb R^2## with nonzero ##z## is the same as a point with ##z=1##. The only other points are those with ##z=0##, which are at infinity. For such points we will also have, courtesy of the equation, ##x=0##. So the set of points on the curve at infinity are those on the y axis in ##\mathbb R^2##. This comprises two equivalence classes: [(0,0,0)] and [(0,1,0)]. So there are two points at infinity, which sounds like what we would want for a parabola (which answers part (b)).

So far so good. I haven't thought about c or d yet.

4. Jul 19, 2016 #3

Thanks for the help Andrew ... but ... your solution seems to have been achieved with some good insight ...

Is there a method or process for transforming curves in ##\mathbb{R}^2## to curves in ##\mathbb{P}^2 ( \mathbb{R} )##?

Thanks again ...

Peter

P.S. if you have any ideas about parts (c) and (d) please let me know ...

5. Jul 19, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know of any general method but, for curves whose equations are polynomial in x and y, the method is easy enough. You just write out the equation and find the degree of each term, which is the exponent for x plus the exponent for y. Let M be the highest such degree in the equation. Then, to make the equation homogeneous, we multiply each term by ##z^{M-d}## where ##d## is the degree of the term. We then have an equation that is homogeneous - hence making a well-defined curve in the projective plane - and which also involves ##z##.

There are a couple of examples of this technique in the author's discussion following Proposition 4.

(d) is easy. Just set ##x## equal to any nonzero constant, such as 1. The equation then becomes ##yz=1##, which is the classic hyperbola equation.

To do (c) we'd need to understand what the author means by 'tangent to' in the context of a projective plane. Do you know what he means by that?

6. Jul 22, 2016 #5

Thanks Andrew ...

By the way, your approach seems to be a general method to extend algebraic curves in the Euclidean plane to the Projective plane ... the book: "Conics and Cubics: A Concrete Introduction to Algebraic Curves"by Robert Bix outlines the method as follows:

?temp_hash=a87a0a0b6a65645f99589b298392e9af.png

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted