Basic electric field plates question - almost finished.

In summary, the speaker has asked others to check their answers for their Physics papers and has provided a link to a specific question. They have correctly answered questions 6 and 8, but are unsure about question 7. They are concerned that the second diagram could just be a zoomed-in version of the first, but are reassured that the difference in density of field lines indicates a difference in electric field intensity.
Griffy11
Hi everyone,

I've been running through past Physics papers, and thought that i'd get you guys to check the answers just to make sure that I've done it correctly.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1506/img008v.jpg

Question 6: Answer I have is C, using right hand rule for both conductor and coil.
Question 7: I have A as the answer, as the field lines are closer together in the left diagram. However, this is the question I wasn't sure about. The second diagram could just be a zoomed-in view of the first, so in reality the charge is still in the same position relative to the parallel plates. Am I worrying too much, or am I wrong?

Question 8: Lights draw less current than most appliances... true, so it must be B.

Thanks in advance to everyone who points out any problems/checks answers for me! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All your answers are correct. For question 7, don't worry about zooming in. When you have two electric field diagrams and the density of field lines is different, the intent is always to portray a difference in electric field intensity.

Hi! It's great to see you taking the time to double check your answers. It's always important to make sure you understand the concepts and have the correct solutions.

For question 6, using the right hand rule is the correct approach. Just make sure to keep in mind the direction of the current in the conductor and the direction of the magnetic field created by the coil.

For question 7, you are correct in thinking that the second diagram could just be a zoomed-in view of the first. However, the question is asking about the relative strength of the electric field, not the position of the charge. The field lines being closer together in the left diagram indicates a stronger field, so you are correct in choosing A as the answer.

And for question 8, you are also correct in choosing B as the answer. Lights do draw less current than most appliances, so they would require a smaller resistor to limit the current.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of electric fields and their applications. Keep up the good work!

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which electrically charged particles experience a force. It can be created by electrically charged objects or by changing magnetic fields.

How are electric fields created?

Electric fields are created by electrically charged particles, such as protons and electrons. When these particles are stationary, they create an electric field. When they are in motion, they create both an electric and a magnetic field.

What is the function of electric field plates?

Electric field plates are used to create a uniform electric field between two parallel plates. They are often used in experiments and demonstrations to show the behavior of electric charges in an electric field.

How do electric field plates work?

Electric field plates work by applying a potential difference between the two plates, creating an electric field between them. The strength of the electric field can be adjusted by changing the distance between the plates or by changing the potential difference.

What are some real-life applications of electric field plates?

Electric field plates are commonly used in particle accelerators, cathode ray tubes, and in the production of x-rays. They are also used in electronic devices such as capacitors and in scientific experiments to study the behavior of electric charges in an electric field.