1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Geology: Magnetic Stripes and their relationship from ridge crests.

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(Picture attached)

How does the process of sea-floor spreading produce these orientations and relationships [between the ages of magnetic stripes and the distance from the ridge crests, as well as the parallel direction of the magnetic stripes with those of the ridge axes]?

Why are some magnetic stripes wider than others?

2. Relevant equations

I don't think I need any.

3. The attempt at a solution

Don't need answers, just help!

1. I'm guessing that the older magnetic stripes are furthest away from the ridge axes because sea-floor spreading is pushing them away. I don't know why the magnetic lines are parallel to the ridge axes though.

2. I have no idea why some stripes are wider than others, does it have to do with sea-floors' surface features?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

So far so good. Think where and how the stripes are created and how they move.

It has nothing to do with the sea floor. Again, why and how are they created?

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3
    Does the width of the stripes have to do with the time period between flipping polarity?

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4

Borek

Exactly.

6. Sep 13, 2011 #5
    Okay great! So the negative (lighter) stripes are reversed polarity... and the positive (darker) stripes are normal polarity?

7. Sep 13, 2011 #6

Borek

8. Sep 13, 2011 #7
    Okay thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook