Basic Geology: Magnetic Stripes and their relationship from ridge crests.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
balletgirl
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



(Picture attached)

How does the process of sea-floor spreading produce these orientations and relationships [between the ages of magnetic stripes and the distance from the ridge crests, as well as the parallel direction of the magnetic stripes with those of the ridge axes]?

Why are some magnetic stripes wider than others?

Homework Equations



I don't think I need any.

The Attempt at a Solution



Don't need answers, just help!

1. I'm guessing that the older magnetic stripes are furthest away from the ridge axes because sea-floor spreading is pushing them away. I don't know why the magnetic lines are parallel to the ridge axes though.

2. I have no idea why some stripes are wider than others, does it have to do with sea-floors' surface features?
 
Attachments
  • figure 2.9.png
    figure 2.9.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 3,388
Physics news on Phys.org
balletgirl said:
1. I'm guessing that the older magnetic stripes are furthest away from the ridge axes because sea-floor spreading is pushing them away. I don't know why the magnetic lines are parallel to the ridge axes though.

So far so good. Think where and how the stripes are created and how they move.

2. I have no idea why some stripes are wider than others, does it have to do with sea-floors' surface features?

It has nothing to do with the sea floor. Again, why and how are they created?
 
Does the width of the stripes have to do with the time period between flipping polarity?
 
Okay great! So the negative (lighter) stripes are reversed polarity... and the positive (darker) stripes are normal polarity?