1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Basic Hydraulics] The Pitot Tube/Manometers

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the flow rate, Q.

Ignore energy losses.

Given:

D1 = 100 mm
    D2 = 75 mm
    Fluid in the pipe is water.
    Fluid in the metre is mercury.
    S.G. of Mercury is ~13.6.
    The difference in height of the mecury columns is 80mm.

Diagram is below.

t8mfz4.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Bernoulli's Equation.

Equation of Continuity. (Q1 = Q2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I approached this as a manometer question, but with that orifice in the flow I was unsure on how to proceed. I chose a datum as the lower of the two levels of mercury. The expressions I got were:

Px-x = Pressure due to the flow + Pressure due to the height of the water above the mercury + the pressure due to the mercury above the datum. This was for the left hand side.
    Px-x = P1 + ρwgh + ρmgh', where h' = 80 mm and h is an unknown height which cancels out when the left side and right side are equated.

For the right hand side I said

Px-x = Pressure due to the flow + Pressure due to the height of the water.
    Px-x = P2 + ρwg(h+h')

For this second equation I feel there is something missing, surely that opening in the flow causes an additional term to be added?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2
    The tube on the right is facing the flow so it is measuring total pressure. You should include the V^2/(2*g) term. The water must come to a stop at the mouth of the tube. Pressure generated is V^2/2g.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook