Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic implicit differentiation question

1. Feb 9, 2016 #1
    So it has been quite a few years since I learnt about implicit differentiation so the content is a bit rusty in my mind.

x=rcos(θ)

How do you find dx/dt?

I know the answer but I am trying to figure out why. I mean dx/dt can be written as (dx/dθ)*(dθ/dt) so why is the answer not just (-rsinθ)*(dθ/dt)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to know which variables in the RHS which depends on ##t##. By the way, you don't need implicit differentiation in this case since what you want to find is ##dx/dt## and ##x## in your equation has been expressed explicitly in terms of the other variables.
    So you know the right answer? It will be helpful to post it as well.

4. Feb 10, 2016 #3

Svein

Science Advisor

Since you have not specified otherwise, I assume that you really have [itex]x(t)=r(t)\cdot \cos(\theta (t)) [/itex]. Then [itex]\frac{dx(t)}{dt}=\frac{dr(t)}{dt}\cdot \cos(\theta(t))+r(t)\cdot\frac{dcos(\theta(t))}{dt}=\frac{dr(t)}{dt}\cdot \cos(\theta(t))+r(t)\cdot(-\sin(\theta(t)))\frac{d\theta(t)}{dt} [/itex]

5. Feb 10, 2016 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For x a function of two variables, r and [itex]\theta[/itex], where r and [itex]\theta[/itex] are functions of t, the "chain rule" is
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= \frac{\partial x}{\partial r}\frac{dr}{dt}+ \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]
    That gives Svein's answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook