Help required to differentiate a function.

In summary, the conversation discusses taking the time derivative of a physics equation involving mechanical energy, mass, radius, and angle. The use of the chain rule is necessary to correctly differentiate the equation, and the final result involves the second derivative of the angle and the derivative of the product of mass, gravity, and angle.
CrazyNeutrino
I need help to take the time derivative of a physics equation.

The equation:

ME=1/2 mr^2 (dθ/dt)^2 +mgr θ^2/2

Where ME is the mechanical energy , m is the mass of the object, r is the radius of the path of the object and θ is the angle around the path.

Walter Lewin at MIT differentiates it and gets the result:

mr^2 (dθ/dt) (d^2 θ/dt^2)+mgr θ dθ/dt

Can someone please explain why this is so. I can't understand how that would be the derivative of the function. Please answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's standard chain rule. Which part don't you get? If y = y(t), the derivative of y2 is 2y dy/dt

The derivative of 1/2mr^2
Would be 2 1/2mr right? Why do we need to use the chain rule?

Last edited:
Can you please just explain the entire derivative of the function.

I get that the derivative of 1/2mr^2=2 1/2 mr r = mr^2, what i don't get is the dtheta/dt part.

it appears as though r does not depend on t if Walter Lewin at MIT differentiates it correctly.

The chain rule is required because [itex]\frac{d((f(t))^{2})}{dt} = 2 f \frac{d(f(t))}{dt}[/itex]

Thus, your derivative of 1/2mr^2 is wrong because you forgot the factor of dr/dt but that isn't really relavent

What you want to do is take the derivative of the θ stuff. What i mean is

[itex]\frac{d}{dt} ME = \frac{1}{2}mr^{2} \frac{d}{dt} (\frac{dθ}{dt})^{2} + \frac{1}{2}mgr\frac{d}{dt}θ^{2}[/itex]

Last edited:
R is a constant radius, it doesn't depend on t. But how would I do d/dt of (dtheta/dt)^2

Ok thanks a lot. I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong:
d/dt of 1/2 mr^2(dθ/dt)^2 is (1/2 mr^2) 2 dθ/dt d^2 θ/dt^2)=mr^2 dθ/dt d^2 θ/dt^2 and the 2 you bring down by the power rule is from dθ/dt squared and not from r square and then derivative of the inside is the second derivative of θ and then the second part d/dt of mgr θ^2/2 is mgr 2 θ/2 dθ/dt = mgr θ dθ/dt.

Is this correct?

CrazyNeutrino said:
Ok thanks a lot. I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong:
d/dt of 1/2 mr^2(dθ/dt)^2 is (1/2 mr^2) 2 dθ/dt d^2 θ/dt^2)=mr^2 dθ/dt d^2 θ/dt^2 and the 2 you bring down by the power rule is from dθ/dt squared and not from r square and then derivative of the inside is the second derivative of θ and then the second part d/dt of mgr θ^2/2 is mgr 2 θ/2 dθ/dt = mgr θ dθ/dt.

Is this correct?

Yes.

Walter Lewin writes all the stuff he write on the board from his book so sometimes what he writes isn't what he says. Over here he said the 2 from the r square would cancel out the 1/2. That confused me because then the derivative of dtheta/dt square becomes 2dtheta/dt dtheta/dt square.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is differentiation and why is it important in science?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function. In science, it is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior and patterns of various quantities in a given system, such as velocity, acceleration, and growth rates.

2. How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, you need to apply the rules of differentiation, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules involve manipulating the algebraic expression of a function to find its derivative, which represents the rate of change of the function.

3. What is a derivative and how is it related to differentiation?

A derivative is the result of the process of differentiation. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. In other words, it shows how much the output of the function changes in response to a small change in the input. Derivatives are important in many scientific fields, such as physics, biology, and economics.

4. Can you give an example of differentiating a function?

Yes, for example, let's say we have the function f(x) = 2x^2 + 3x. To differentiate this function, we can use the power rule and the sum rule to get f'(x) = 4x + 3. This derivative tells us that for every unit increase in x, the output of the original function will increase by 4 units.

5. What are some practical applications of differentiation in science?

Differentiation has many practical applications in science, such as calculating the velocity and acceleration of a moving object, modeling population growth and decay, analyzing the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and optimizing functions in economics and engineering. It is also used in various scientific fields to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.