1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic integration identity- please jog my memory!

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    Hello all, I'm doing a question for the maths module in my physics degree (I'm a second year undergrad) and there's a question I'm doing on basis functions.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Verify that functions of the type [tex]f_{n}(x) = A cos \frac{2\pi n x}{L}[/tex] where n = 0,1,2... can be used as a basis function for 0<x<L.

There are then three parts:

i. Normalise (I've done this part, I found a normalising factor of [tex]A=\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}[/tex]

ii. Check orthogonality (this is the part causing the trouble)

iii. Would it be possible to use [tex]f_{n}(x)[/tex] as the basis for all functions in this interval? (this clearly follows from the other two parts, so once I've done ii, I should be able to answer this)

2. Relevant equations

To check orthogonality, I need to demonstrate that the condition:

[tex]\int f_{n}(x) f_{m}(x)dx=\delta_{n,m}[/tex], where the limits of the integral are the same as the interval of interest, is met.

3. The attempt at a solution

This means I need to integrate the product of two cosines with different arguments, and if I try and do this with integration by parts, I end up in an infinite loop with products of cyclic functions. Is there an identity for this?

Thanks in advance!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello Matt! :smile:
    It's one of the standard trigonometric identities …

cosAcosB = 1/2 [cos(A+B) + cos(A-B)] :wink:
  4. Mar 15, 2010 #3
    Much appreciated, thank you!
  5. Mar 15, 2010 #4

Science Advisor

Try using a trig identity to write cos(nx)cos(mx) in terms of cos((n-m)x) and cos((n+m)x).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook