Multivariable Calculus proof for Optics

In summary: So you should not assume that the integral is independent of the volume. In fact, you should work with very small volumes around the point ##\vec r##, and then let those volumes grow. I suggest you take the integral, substitute the expression with the delta function in it, and see if you can show that it equals the volume integral of the function that is given by the problem.
Blanchdog
Homework Statement
Prove that the identity ##\nabla_{\textbf{r}} \frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|} = -\frac{(\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}')}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|^3}## where ##\nabla_{r}## operates only on r, treating r' as a constant vector.

Next, prove that ##\nabla_{\textbf{r}} \frac{(\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}')}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|^3} = 0## except at r = r' where a singularity situation occurs.

Finally, use the divergence theorem to show that the function ##\nabla_{\textbf{r}} \frac{(\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}')}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|^3}## is ## 4\pi## times the threee-dimensional delta function: ##\delta^3(\textbf{r'} - \textbf{r}) \equiv \delta(x' - x)\delta(y' - y)\delta(z' - z)##
Relevant Equations
The Dirac delta function is defined indirectly as ##f(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t') \delta (t' - t) dt' ##
The divergence theorem for a vector function F is ##\oint_{S} F \cdot \hat n~dA = \int_V \nabla \cdot F~dV##
Part A)

For part A I forgo breaking down the identity into it's component x, y, and z parts, and just take the r derivative treating r' as a constant vector. This seems to give the right answer, but to be entirely honest I'm not sure how I'd go about doing this component by component. I figure I'd replace the numerator with x - x' (or whatever direction I'm working with) but what would I do with the denominator? Would I just take the components there too, would I need to use the distance equation?

Part B) Really not sure what to do with this part.

Part C)

By the divergence theorem, I get $$\oint_{S} \frac{(\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}')}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|^3} \cdot \hat n~dA = \int_V \cdot \nabla_{\textbf{r}} \frac{(\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}')}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|^3}~dV$$

From part B, the argument in the integral on the right side must be zero except at ##r' = r##, which makes both sides of the relation zero except at that point. I'm sure there's a way to relate that to a delta function somehow but I'm not sure what it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Blanchdog said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that the identity ##\nabla_{\textbf{r}} \frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|} = -\frac{(\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}')}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|^3}## where ##\nabla_{r}## operates only on r, treating r' as a constant vector.

Next, prove that ##\nabla_{\textbf{r}} \frac{(\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}')}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|^3} = 0## except at r = r' where a singularity situation occurs.

Finally, use the divergence theorem to show that the function ##\nabla_{\textbf{r}} \frac{(\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}')}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|^3}## is ## 4\pi## times the threee-dimensional delta function: ##\delta^3(\textbf{r'} - \textbf{r}) \equiv \delta(x' - x)\delta(y' - y)\delta(z' - z)##
Relevant Equations:: The Dirac delta function is defined indirectly as ##f(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t') \delta (t' - t) dt' ##
The divergence theorem for a vector function F is ##\oint_{S} F \cdot \hat n~dA = \int_V \nabla \cdot F~dV##

From part B, the argument in the integral on the right side must be zero except at r′=r, which makes both sides of the relation zero except at that point. I'm sure there's a way to relate that to a delta function somehow but I'm not sure what it is.
What does this tell you about how the integral depends on the volume V?

It will be beneficial for you to be able to decipher the symbols. It's really easy when you get used to the notation. You write
##\vec r=x~\hat x+y~\hat y+z~\hat z##
##\vec r'=x'~\hat x+y'~\hat y+z'~\hat z##
Then
##\vec r-\vec r'=(x-x')~\hat x+(y-y')~\hat y+(z-z')~\hat z##
the magnitude of the difference is the square root of the sum of the squares:
##|\vec r-\vec r'|=\left[(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(z-z')^2\right]^{1/2}##
The denominator is simply the magnitude cubed:
##|\vec r-\vec r'|^3=\left[(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(z-z')^2\right]^{3/2}.##

Orodruin said:
What does this tell you about how the integral depends on the volume V?
That the volume V is arbitrary, the only thing that matters is whether it contains the point r' = r, and so the result of the integral is really just the value of the function at the point r' = r? But that seems weird since it looks like that would set the left side of the equation to zero. Am I on the right track at all?

Blanchdog said:
That the volume V is arbitrary, the only thing that matters is whether it contains the point r' = r, and so the result of the integral is really just the value of the function at the point r' = r? But that seems weird since it looks like that would set the left side of the equation to zero. Am I on the right track at all?
Not really, no. You are assuming that the volume integrand is regular, but you know you are asked to show that it is proportional to a delta function.

1. What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It involves the study of differentiation and integration of functions with more than one independent variable.

2. How is Multivariable Calculus used in Optics?

Multivariable Calculus is used in Optics to analyze and describe the behavior of light as it interacts with different materials and surfaces. It helps in understanding the principles of reflection, refraction, and diffraction of light, which are essential in the study of optics.

3. What is the proof for using Multivariable Calculus in Optics?

The proof for using Multivariable Calculus in Optics lies in the mathematical models and equations that are used to describe the behavior of light. These equations involve multiple variables, and their derivatives and integrals are used to calculate various properties of light, such as intensity, polarization, and wavelength.

4. Can you give an example of how Multivariable Calculus is applied in Optics?

One example of how Multivariable Calculus is applied in Optics is in the study of lenses. The shape of a lens can be described using a multivariable function, and its properties, such as focal length and magnification, can be calculated using Multivariable Calculus techniques.

5. Is Multivariable Calculus the only mathematical tool used in Optics?

No, Multivariable Calculus is not the only mathematical tool used in Optics. Other branches of mathematics, such as linear algebra and differential equations, are also used in the study of Optics. However, Multivariable Calculus is a crucial tool that provides a deeper understanding of the behavior of light and its interactions with different materials.