Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Lorentz Transform widget

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I have recently found that Mathematica has a "reader" which allows interactive calculations and plots to be shared. Here is a simple example, please let me know if there is interest in more such widgets.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where do you get the reader? My browser has no idea what to do with this file. I assume it's free a la the pdf reader versus document creator? If this is to be used on PF, we should have a ling somewhere to download the reader, as this is not something people are likely to have (unlike pdf).

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you need Mathematica.

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

6. Mar 11, 2013 #5

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After I installed the player, it said that it wasn't working but I went ahead and ran the widget and it did work. I did this on a Windows 7 64-bit machine with IE9.

I clicked on the three + signs to expand the controls which I think is very important to do. I found one minor problem. Whenever the x' value is zero, it displays an incorrectly formatted very small number with an exponent. For example, set t=5, x=3, v=0.6.

I thought this was only going to be a conversion of x and t coordinates from one frame to another moving at some v and it does that but in addition, it makes a Minkowski diagram showing the two frames.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook