Lorentz transformation of the "bilinear spinor matrixelement"

In summary, the blue colored equation signs are the parts which the author couldn't figure out how. There must be some steps in between which were skipped on the solution. Finally, the indices on the lorentz transformation should be inverted.
Garlic
Gold Member
Dear reader,

there is a physics problem where I couldn't understand what the solutions.
It is about the lorentz transformation of a bilinear spinor matrix element thing.

So the blue colored equation signs are the parts which I couldn't figure out how.
There must be some steps in between which were skipped on the solution.

For example, we know that the original matrixelement contains Γ12T. Why does it turn back to ΓμνT? Where does the Γ02T element come from?

And lastly, why did we have to transpose the Γ's in the end, so that the indices get to the top?

Thank you very much for your time :)

-Garlic
IMG_0192.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Garlic said:
For example, we know that the original matrixelement contains Γ12T. Why does it turn back to ΓμνT?

First question first. Suppose
$$A_{\mu \nu} =\bar{\psi} \Gamma^{T}_{\mu \nu} \psi.$$
In the primed frame, what is ##A'_{\alpha \beta}##?

George Jones said:
First question first. Suppose
$$A_{\mu \nu} =\bar{\psi} \Gamma^{T}_{\mu \nu} \psi.$$
In the primed frame, what is ##A'_{\alpha \beta}##?

I suppose:
$$
A'_{\alpha \beta}= \Lambda_{\alpha}^{\: \mu} \Lambda_{\beta}^{\: \nu} A'_{\mu \nu} = \Lambda_{ \alpha}^{\: \mu} \Lambda_{\beta}^{\: \nu} \bar{\psi} \Gamma^{T}_{\mu \nu} \psi
$$

So M should transform like this:
$$
M_{\alpha \beta} \rightarrow M'_{\alpha \beta}= \Lambda_{\alpha}^{\: 1} \Lambda_{ \beta}^{\: 2} \bar{\psi} \Gamma^{T}_{1 2} \psi
$$
My intuition tells me the opposite of the solution...

Edit: I have an idea. ##\Gamma_{12}^T =\gamma^1 \gamma^2## so the indices on lorentz transformations should be inverted?

$$
M_{\alpha \beta} \rightarrow M'_{\alpha \beta}= \Lambda_{1}^{\: \alpha} \Lambda_{ 2}^{\: \beta} \bar{\psi} \Gamma^{T}_{1 2} \psi
$$
But still the \Gamma matrix has non specific indices.

Also I probably did the index ordering wrong. ##\Lambda^{ 1}_{\: \alpha}## or ##\Lambda_{ \alpha}^{\: 1}##

Last edited:
Garlic said:
So M should transform like
Sorry, my hint wasn't very good. Try this. Write
$$M' =\bar{\psi'} \left(x'\right) \Gamma^{T}_{12} \psi' \left(x'\right).$$
Now write each ##\psi' \left(x'\right)## in terms of ##\psi \left(x\right)##.

George Jones said:
Sorry, my hint wasn't very good. Try this. Write
$$M' =\bar{\psi'} \left(x'\right) \Gamma^{T}_{12} \psi' \left(x'\right).$$
Now write each ##\psi' \left(x'\right)## in terms of ##\psi \left(x\right)##.

Maybe like this?

$$
M' = \bar{\psi} \: (x) S(\Lambda^{-1}) \Gamma^{T}_{12} S(\Lambda) \psi \: (x)
$$

Garlic said:
Maybe like this?

$$
M' = \bar{\psi} \: (x) S(\Lambda^{-1}) \Gamma^{T}_{12} S(\Lambda) \psi \: (x)
$$

Now use ##I = S\left(\Lambda\right) S\left(\Lambda^{-1}\right)## between the ##\gamma## s.

So I just figured it out. :)
Although the indices are upside down, but I have a feeling they are the same as in the solution.

Now I'm stuck at the second part:
what am I doing wrong here? Am I using a wrong lorentz matrix?

IMG_0194.JPG

I understand it! I can't believe I did it! I feel intelligent :cool:

IMG_0195.JPG

Thank you so much for helping me!

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Lorentz transformation of the bilinear spinor matrixelement?

The Lorentz transformation of the bilinear spinor matrixelement is a mathematical method used to transform the coordinates and momentum of a particle from one reference frame to another. It is based on the principles of special relativity and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles in different inertial frames of reference.

2. Why is the Lorentz transformation of the bilinear spinor matrixelement important?

The Lorentz transformation is important because it allows us to understand the effects of relative motion on physical quantities such as time, length, and momentum. It is also used in many areas of physics, including particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology.

3. How is the Lorentz transformation of the bilinear spinor matrixelement calculated?

The Lorentz transformation is calculated using a set of equations that involve the velocity of the reference frames, the coordinates and momentum of the particle, and the speed of light. These equations are derived from the principles of special relativity and can be solved using algebra or matrix operations.

4. What is the difference between a Lorentz transformation and a Galilean transformation?

A Lorentz transformation takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, while a Galilean transformation does not. The equations for a Lorentz transformation also involve the speed of light, while the equations for a Galilean transformation do not. In other words, the Lorentz transformation is a more accurate and comprehensive way of transforming coordinates and momentum between reference frames.

5. Can the Lorentz transformation of the bilinear spinor matrixelement be applied to all particles?

Yes, the Lorentz transformation can be applied to all particles, regardless of their mass or velocity. It is a fundamental principle of special relativity and is applicable to all physical phenomena. However, for particles with very high velocities, the equations may need to be adjusted to take into account relativistic effects such as time dilation and length contraction.