1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function

1. Apr 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    bGpOGuQ.png

2. Relevant equations
    LFJpCid.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I DO NOT NEED HELP WRITING THE PROGRAM! I'm just trying to figure out the basics behind it. Since this is an integral I will be solving this problem by using riemann sums. Where I'm having the most trouble is in the actually computation.

These are my constants:
    N=100000
    m=28.02
    T=300
    k=1.38*10^(-23)

For example I can look at the first case, v=0 and realize that I will get a result of 0.

Now when a substitute in v=20 and try to solve, my calculator gets an error that says INF.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, I found a typo. The problem states N = 10000 (N = 10^4). Your post indicates N = 100000 (10^5).

Second, always indicate the units for the various variables and constants you are using. It saves a lot of time and confusion.

4. Apr 18, 2014 #3
    What SteamKing said. You're clearly using the wrong units for the mass. ALWAYS write down the units. they are not optional.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted