1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Basic) Please give me advice on my u-substitution technique

1. Nov 22, 2012 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I learned integration, but I think somewhere my technique is flawed, because I consistently get certain questions right and certain questions wrong. I don't know why I started doing it this way, but I always find DX by dividing it by DU and substitute it back in to the equation. Where can I improve and what am I doing wrong?

2. Relevant equations

Here are two equations. First one I get right, second one wrong.
    1) integral of (1 - 2x)^4 2dx
    2) integral of ((5)(3t - 6)^2

3. The attempt at a solution

1)
    U = 1 - 2x
    DU = -2 dx
    DX = DU/-2

(U)^4 (2)(DU/-2)
    U^4 (-1)
    -1 integral of (1/5) U^5 + C
    = -1/5 (1-2x)^5 + c
    RIGHT

2)
    U = 3t - 6
    DU = 3 dx
    dx = (du/3)

5(u)^-2 du/3

1/3 5(u)^-1
    (1/3) (-5/1) (3t - 6)^-1
    WRONG

?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... too many brackets. From your later statements I'm guessing you want:

$$\int 5(3t-6)^{-2} dt$$

However: Your substitution seems fine - I think you need to check how to integrate negative powers.

4. Nov 22, 2012 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is the exponent 2 or -2?

5. Nov 22, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Wait:
    ... looks here like the power has been integrated properly (if it is -2). There is a minus sign missing in the previous line.

6. Nov 22, 2012 #5
    I think that u-substitution is a technique that is used at times when it really isn't necessary. IMO, u-substitution is a good way to program a computer to do an integration, but it is usually not a good way to integrate (well, really we do u-substitution to find an anti-derivative, which we use to do integration.) So, how would I do this problem?

Let's try to find the anti-derivative of[itex]2(1-2x)^4[/itex]. Now, we have something raised to the power of 4, and so a good guess at an anti-derivative would be to just write down:
    [itex](1/5)(1-2x)^5[/itex]. Now, we want to see if this is correct (ie is the derivative of our first guess what we started out with.) Well, the derivative is [itex]-2(1-2x)^4[/itex]. This is VERY close to what we started out with, in fact, it is a multiplicative constant away (what constant?) So, just divide our initial guess by this multiplicative constant and check it again, and we see that this is the correct anti-derivative.

Now, if you try to do it like this, after a while, it will become second nature. It might have seen confusing the way I described it, but I think if you write it out, it will make sense. The fact of the matter is that u-substitution can sometimes make things MUCH simpler, but, IMO, these cases are few and far between. So, use u-sub when you HAVE to, but it should be a last resort (and after practice, you will realise which integrals really "need" u-sub.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook