Basic question about the generalized Poisson Equation

In summary: Heat generated within the region is not constrained by the boundary temperatures.In summary, the two dimensional Poisson's equation in a medium with spatially varying dielectric constant can have potential values at the boundaries that are not necessarily limiting values for the potential within the region. This is due to the presence of a nonzero charge density or variable permittivity.
maverick280857
Hi,

Suppose we look at two dimensional Poisson's equation in a medium with spatially varying (but real) dielectric constant:

[tex]\nabla(\epsilon_r\nabla \varphi) = -\frac{\rho(x,y)}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Consider the problem of solving this using the Finite Difference method on a rectangular grid, subject to Dirichlet boundary conditions at the 4 edges (which are assumed to be conducting sheets, surrounding some dielectric medium). This is supposed to model a semiconducting device I am trying to work on numerically for a thesis project.

Now if [itex]\rho(x,y) = 0[/itex] I know from basic electromagnetic theory (c.f. Griffiths, for instance) that in a sub-region where the dielectric constant doesn't vary at all, the potential can have no local maxima or minima, and that it can only take extreme values at the boundaries. This is because the equation is then Laplace's equation, and this is a property of all Harmonic functions. I get this.

(1) Now suppose [itex]\rho(x,y) = 0[/itex] still, but the permittivity varies spatially -- it is a constant for one region, and another constant for another region, etc. In this case, can I make any statements about the limits on the values of the potential?

(2) If [itex]\rho(x,y) [/itex] is now nonzero but permittivity does not vary spatially, I just have the regular Poisson equation. If [itex]\rho(x,y)[/itex] gets contributions only from the doping and voltage induced local charge density but no horrible delta function like isolated charges, is it still correct to say that the potential in the region cannot exceed the values at the boundaries?

So if I were to apply 1 V to the right edge and 0.5 V to the top edge, then as long as there are no isolated point charges in the dielectric medium, can I generally say that the potential in the interior will never exceed 0.5 V or 1 V?

I tried to answer this question in one-dimension where the solution to a constant charge density is a parabolic potential. I can fit the potential to the end point Dirichlet boundary condition values, but in the intermediate region I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to go beyond these values.

Any insights?

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick280857 said:
Hi,

Suppose we look at two dimensional Poisson's equation in a medium with spatially varying (but real) dielectric constant:

[tex]\nabla(\epsilon_r\nabla \varphi) = -\frac{\rho(x,y)}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Consider the problem of solving this using the Finite Difference method on a rectangular grid, subject to Dirichlet boundary conditions at the 4 edges (which are assumed to be conducting sheets, surrounding some dielectric medium). This is supposed to model a semiconducting device I am trying to work on numerically for a thesis project.

Now if [itex]\rho(x,y) = 0[/itex] I know from basic electromagnetic theory (c.f. Griffiths, for instance) that in a sub-region where the dielectric constant doesn't vary at all, the potential can have no local maxima or minima, and that it can only take extreme values at the boundaries. This is because the equation is then Laplace's equation, and this is a property of all Harmonic functions. I get this.

(1) Now suppose [itex]\rho(x,y) = 0[/itex] still, but the permittivity varies spatially -- it is a constant for one region, and another constant for another region, etc. In this case, can I make any statements about the limits on the values of the potential?

(2) If [itex]\rho(x,y) [/itex] is now nonzero but permittivity does not vary spatially, I just have the regular Poisson equation. If [itex]\rho(x,y)[/itex] gets contributions only from the doping and voltage induced local charge density but no horrible delta function like isolated charges, is it still correct to say that the potential in the region cannot exceed the values at the boundaries?

So if I were to apply 1 V to the right edge and 0.5 V to the top edge, then as long as there are no isolated point charges in the dielectric medium, can I generally say that the potential in the interior will never exceed 0.5 V or 1 V?

I tried to answer this question in one-dimension where the solution to a constant charge density is a parabolic potential. I can fit the potential to the end point Dirichlet boundary condition values, but in the intermediate region I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to go beyond these values.

Any insights?

This is analogous to a steady state heat conduction problem with a variable thermal conductivity and a distributed heat source (or sink). The temperature within the region can certainly be higher than at any of the boundaries if heat is being generated. The boundaries would just then be providing cooling to remove the heat.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the generalized Poisson equation?

The generalized Poisson equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in a given space. It is a generalization of the standard Poisson equation, which relates the second derivative of a scalar field to a source term. The generalized Poisson equation can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How is the generalized Poisson equation derived?

The generalized Poisson equation is derived from the basic principles of calculus and partial differential equations. It can be derived by considering the conservation of energy or mass in a given system. The equation is also derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

3. What are the applications of the generalized Poisson equation?

The generalized Poisson equation has various applications in different fields. It is commonly used in physics to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It is also used in engineering to analyze the stress and strain distribution in materials. In mathematics, the generalized Poisson equation is used in numerical analysis and computational methods.

4. What are the boundary conditions for the generalized Poisson equation?

The boundary conditions for the generalized Poisson equation can vary depending on the specific problem being solved. In general, there are two types of boundary conditions: Dirichlet boundary conditions, where the value of the scalar field is specified at the boundary, and Neumann boundary conditions, where the gradient of the scalar field is specified at the boundary. Other types of boundary conditions, such as Robin boundary conditions, can also be applied.

5. How is the generalized Poisson equation solved?

The generalized Poisson equation can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as separation of variables, finite difference methods, and finite element methods. The chosen method depends on the specific problem being solved and the available resources. In some cases, analytical solutions can be obtained, while in others, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution.