Solving the 3D Poisson equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the 3D Poisson equation using spherical coordinates and spherical harmonics. The speaker mentions using a hyperbolic transformation and a LU-decomposition method to solve the equation, with symmetrical conditions applied for the potential at r=0. They also mention having trouble setting the potential to zero at infinity and ask for a solution. The conversation ends with the speaker announcing they have found a solution and asking if they should share it.
debilo
TL;DR Summary
I try to solve 3D Poisson equation with boundaries condition at infinity.
Hello !

I want to solve the 3D Poisson equation using spherical coordinates and spherical harmonics.
First I must solve this : ##d^2\phi/dr^2 + 1/rd\phi/dr - l*(l+1)/r^2 = \rho (r)## with ##\phi (\infty ) = 0## (here ##\phi## is the gravitationnal potential and ##\rho## is the mass density).
To deal with the infinite grid I tried to use the hyperbolic transformation ##r = X*arctanh(R)## with ##X## a constant and ##R## between 0 and 1.
I use a LU-decomposition method to solve this. For ##\phi (0)## I apply symmetrical conditions.
I tried to solve the problem in the case of a spherical mass distribution. I compared the calculated potential with the theoretical potential.
I find a pretty good result when I fix the value in rmax.
But for ##\phi (\infty )## I have a problem. In fact I obviously get in trouble when I let R go to 1 (or 0) ; so I take ##Rmin = 0+\varepsilon## and ##Rmax = 1-\varepsilon##.

My question is : do you know a trick to really set the value of the potential to zero at infinity ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I finally found a solution it's ok !

Are you going to post it here? I'm sure others would be interested and they may see something you can to make it even better.

debilo said:
I finally found a solution it's ok !
Hi, can you please post the solution?

1. What is the 3D Poisson equation and why is it important?

The 3D Poisson equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the distribution of electric potential in three-dimensional space. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electric fields in complex systems, such as electronic devices and biological systems.

2. How is the 3D Poisson equation solved?

The 3D Poisson equation can be solved using various numerical methods, such as finite difference methods, finite element methods, and boundary element methods. These methods involve discretizing the equation into smaller, solvable parts and then using iterative algorithms to find a solution.

3. What are the applications of solving the 3D Poisson equation?

The applications of solving the 3D Poisson equation are vast and include fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It is used in the design and analysis of electronic devices, such as transistors and capacitors, as well as in studying the behavior of electric fields in biological systems, such as neurons and cell membranes.

4. What are the challenges in solving the 3D Poisson equation?

One of the main challenges in solving the 3D Poisson equation is the complex geometry and boundary conditions that are often present in real-world systems. This can make it difficult to accurately discretize the equation and can lead to errors in the solution. Additionally, the large number of variables and equations involved can make the computation time-consuming.

5. How is the accuracy of the solution to the 3D Poisson equation assessed?

The accuracy of the solution to the 3D Poisson equation can be assessed by comparing it to analytical solutions, if available, or by using convergence analysis. Convergence analysis involves refining the solution by increasing the number of discretization points and measuring the change in the solution. A high convergence rate indicates a more accurate solution.