Green's function for problems involving linear isotropic media

spin_100
TL;DR Summary
Is there a way to tackle problems involving linear isotropic dielectric media with permittivity separated by a boundary directly using an appropriate green's function? I am studying electrodynamics from Jackson's electrodynamics and after learning about the power of using green's function to solve boundary value problems, I was wondering if there is something similar to this for dielectric media. I have shown my approach here but I am stuck at a point.
I am considering a simple problem of a sphere of isotropic dielectric media (permittivity ## \epsilon ## and Radius ##R##) placed in a uniform electric field ## E_0 ## (z-direction). The problem is from Griffiths Chapter 4, example 7.
Since, it is a linear dielectric material, ## D = \epsilon E ## Since there is a discontinuity in ## \epsilon ##
We can model ## \epsilon (r) = \epsilon \theta (R-r) + \epsilon_0 \theta (r-R)##
Taking the divergence of D and since there are no free charges. (external charges) we get $$ 0 = \epsilon(r) \nabla \cdot E + \delta (R-r) ( \epsilon_0 - \epsilon ) E \cdot r$$

Then, we get the possion's equation $$ \nabla \cdot E = - \delta (R-r) ( \epsilon_0 - \epsilon ) E \cdot r $$ After that I don't know how to proceed further. I solved for the potential using an appropriate green's function but the result I am getting is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can get the Green's function using the image-charge concept. The Green's ##G(\vec{x},\vec{x}')## function is given by the solution of the problem having a "unit charge" at ##\vec{x}'##. Then you need an image charge (distinguishing the cases when ##\vec{x}'## is inside or outside the sphere). The case of a homogeneous electric field is given by taking two charges ##\pm Q## to infinity and moving them to ##\pm \infty \vec{e}_z## (for the asymptocally constant electric field in the ##z## direction).

You can also solve the problem with the asymptotically constant electric field by making a multipole-expansion ansatz. From symmetry it's a priori clear that you only need to go to the dipole order.

vanhees71 said:
You can get the Green's function using the image-charge concept. The Green's ##G(\vec{x},\vec{x}')## function is given by the solution of the problem having a "unit charge" at ##\vec{x}'##. Then you need an image charge (distinguishing the cases when ##\vec{x}'## is inside or outside the sphere). The case of a homogeneous electric field is given by taking two charges ##\pm Q## to infinity and moving them to ##\pm \infty \vec{e}_z## (for the asymptocally constant electric field in the ##z## direction).

You can also solve the problem with the asymptotically constant electric field by making a multipole-expansion ansatz. From symmetry it's a priori clear that you only need to go to the dipole order.
Please provide a reference where such a method is discussed.

1. What is a Green's function for problems involving linear isotropic media?

A Green's function for problems involving linear isotropic media is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations in physics and engineering. It represents the response of a system to a point source or impulse input, and can be used to find the solution to a wide range of problems in linear isotropic media.

2. How is a Green's function related to the concept of impulse response?

A Green's function and impulse response are closely related, as they both represent the output of a system in response to an impulse input. However, a Green's function is a more general concept that can be applied to a wider range of problems, while impulse response is specific to linear systems.

3. Can a Green's function be used for non-linear problems?

No, a Green's function is only applicable to linear problems. This means that the response of the system is directly proportional to the input, and the principle of superposition holds. For non-linear problems, other methods must be used to find a solution.

4. How is a Green's function calculated?

A Green's function is typically calculated using integral transforms, such as the Laplace or Fourier transforms. These transforms convert the differential equation into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved for the Green's function. In some cases, the Green's function may also be known analytically.

5. What are some applications of Green's functions in physics and engineering?

Green's functions have many applications in physics and engineering, including solving problems in electromagnetics, acoustics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer. They are also used in the study of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. Additionally, Green's functions are used in image processing and signal analysis to reconstruct signals from noisy data.