Basic strong Zeeman effect question

In summary: In this limit, the Zeeman effect becomes significant, and the total angular momentum is not conserved.
vaart
I have a question about the Zeeman effect and pertubation theory. I read in Griffiths that with the strong Zeeman effect the total angular momentum is not conserved but Lz and Sz are. I don't really understand why this is in a physical sense, because I thought that angularmomentum always was conserved. What makes it more confusing is that I didn't expect that Lz and Sz are conserved compared with the unpertubated system, because the magnetic field lies along the z-axis so I expected an increase in Lz and Sz.

Could someone please help me with this faulty physical picture?
Thanks,
Vaart

Physics news on Phys.org
vaart said:
I thought that angular momentum always was conserved.
Total angular momentum is conserved if and only if the Hamiltonian is rotationally invariant. That is true for an isolated atom, but here we're talking about an atom immersed in an external field. Since the Hamiltonian contains Bz, as Griffiths so inelegantly puts it, the atom "experiences a torque". :yuck:

The system is still cylindrically symmetric about the z-axis, so Jz is a good quantum number even though J2 is not.

vaart said:
What makes it more confusing is that I didn't expect that Lz and Sz are conserved compared with the unpertubated system, because the magnetic field lies along the z-axis so I expected an increase in Lz and Sz.
The additional part of the Hamiltonian is Bz(Lz + 2Sz). What commutes with this? Clearly Lz and Sz do! Also it's easy to realize that L2 commutes with it, since [L2, Lz] = 0.

Ah, I think I understand now. Let me rephrash in my own words.
1) Total anguar momentum is not always conserverd because in a non rotational invariant Hamiltonian rotational energy will be transvererd to potential energy and vice versa.
2) Jz is still a good quantum number because Jz=Lz+Sz and the last two are still good quantum numbers because of the cylindrical symmetry. And while Lz and Sz are still good quantum numbers this doesn't mean the total energy of the new system doesn't changes.

I think I understand it better now, atleast I hope!
Thanks

vaart said:
2) Jz is still a good quantum number because Jz=Lz+Sz and the last two are still good quantum numbers because of the cylindrical symmetry.

Rather, Jz is a good quantum number because of the cylindrical symmetry, and Lz and Sz are also good quantum numbers only if there is no spin-orbit coupling.

vaart said:
2) Jz is still a good quantum number because Jz=Lz+Sz and the last two are still good quantum numbers because of the cylindrical symmetry. And while Lz and Sz are still good quantum numbers this doesn't mean the total energy of the new system doesn't changes.

No, in the weak Bext limit J is a "good" number not because S and L are "good", but because J is conserved.

1. What is the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect is a phenomenon in which the spectral lines of an atom or molecule are split into multiple components when placed in a magnetic field. This effect was first observed by Dutch physicist Pieter Zeeman in 1896.

2. What causes the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic moment of the atom or molecule. This interaction causes the energy levels of the atom or molecule to split, resulting in the splitting of spectral lines.

3. What is the difference between the basic and strong Zeeman effect?

The basic Zeeman effect occurs when the magnetic field is weak and the splitting of spectral lines is small. The strong Zeeman effect occurs when the magnetic field is strong and the splitting of spectral lines is significant.

4. How is the Zeeman effect used in scientific research?

The Zeeman effect is used in various research fields, including astronomy, atomic and molecular physics, and material science. It helps scientists study the structure and behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as the effects of magnetic fields on them.

5. Can the Zeeman effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Zeeman effect can be observed in everyday life, particularly in the form of the aurora borealis (northern lights). The colors of the aurora borealis are caused by the Zeeman effect on excited atoms in Earth's atmosphere interacting with the planet's magnetic field.