1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basics of Vectors -- Parallel versus Co-Planar

1. Jun 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ex. 2. Express each of the following by an equation:
    (a) Two vectors A and B are parallel.
    (b) Three vectors A, B and C are co-planar.

2. Relevant equations
    C = A + B

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand (a) the answer being B = (alpha)*A because that is a scalar transformation, but for part (b) the answer in the end of the book is C = (alpha)*A + (beta)*B where (alpha) and (beta) are both scalar quantities. Wouldn't it still be correct to say that C = A + B without the scalar transformation. I just don't understand why the book chose to use this answer. Thank you for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2017 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let ##\vec A## be the unit vector ##\hat x##.
    Let ##\vec B## be the unit vector ##\hat y##.
    Consider any vector ##\vec C## in the xy-plane. Is ##\vec C=\vec A+\vec B##?

4. Jun 9, 2017 #3

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

While C = A + B does describe 3 vectors which will be coplanar, there are many other A B C combinations, where they do not form a triangle.
    For example, let C = A + B then what can we say about the vector D = A + C? This vector also lies in the same plane, but can you get B from adding these (and not use scalar multipliers)?
    We know that C = A + B, substitute that in, and get D = A + (A + B) = 2A + B. This is why you need the scalar multipliers. Take any two non-parallel vectors in a plane, and you can add scalar multiples of them to produce a new 'triangle' which lies in the plane and the 3rd leg lies in the same plane. I hope this helps.
    Take the special case of vectors i and j, which happen to be length 1 and orthogonal. You can scale each of those and add to get any vector in the i-j plane. But your two vectors, used to build other vectors, do not have to be orthogonal for it to work (but they cannot be parallel).

5. Jun 10, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Amusingly, that is not the answer either. If A and B are parallel then the three are necessarily coplanar, but you would only be able to write C as a linear combination of A and B if all three are parallel.

A correct answer is that there exist three scalars, a, b and c, not all zero, such that ##a\vec A+b\vec B+ c\vec C=0##.

Technically, there is the same problem with a). A better answer is, likewise, that there exist two scalars, not both zero....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted