Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Basis of a Tensor Product - Theorem 10.2 - Another Question

1. Mar 18, 2016 #1
    I am reading Bruce N. Coopersteins book: Advanced Linear Algebra (Second Edition) ... ...

I am focused on Section 10.1 Introduction to Tensor Products ... ...

I need help with another aspect of the proof of Theorem 10.2 regarding the basis of a tensor product ... ...

Theorem 10.2 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=f5d3c296ba033b45e904bd30300693b1.png

A diagram involving the mappings [itex]\iota[/itex] and [itex]\gamma'[/itex] is as follows:

?temp_hash=f5d3c296ba033b45e904bd30300693b1.png

My questions are as follows:

Question 1

How do we know that there exists a multilinear map [itex]\gamma' \ : \ X \longrightarrow Z'[/itex] ?

Question 2

What happens (what are the 'mechanics') under the mapping [itex]\gamma'[/itex] ... ... to the elements in X\X' ( that is [itex]X - X'[/itex])? How can we be sure that these elements end up in [itex]Z'[/itex] and not in Z\Z'? (see Figure 1 above)

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re question 1:
    Let ##V^\dagger\equiv V_1\times,...,\times V_m## and let's use angle brackets [itex]\langle...\rangle[/itex] to enclose components of Cartesian product spaces. Let the components of [itex]\mathscr{B}_j[/itex] be [itex]v_{j1},...,v_{jn_j}[/itex] where [itex]n_j[/itex] is the dim of [itex]V_j[/itex].
    You haven't said what [itex]Z[/itex] is but let's assume it's the infinite-dimensional vector space over field [itex]F[/itex] with base set
    $$\mathscr{B}^Z\equiv \{\langle u_1,...,u_m\rangle\ |\ \forall k:\ u_k\in V_k\}$$
    More formally, [itex]Z[/itex] is the set of all functions from [itex]\mathscr{B}^Z[/itex] to [itex]F[/itex] for which each such function has finite support (ie is nonzero on only finitely many input values).
    [itex]Z'[/itex] is the subset of [itex]Z[/itex] containing only functions whose support lies in [itex]X'[/itex], and it is easily shown to be a subspace.
    Define the map [itex]\xi:X'\to Z'[/itex] that maps each Cartesian product of basis vectors [itex]\langle v_{1i_1},...,v_{mi_m}\rangle[/itex] to the function that returns zero for every input except [itex]\langle v_{1i_1},...,v_{mi_m}\rangle[/itex], for which it returns [itex]1_F[/itex]. Note that the image of [itex]\xi[/itex] is a basis for [itex]Z'[/itex].
    Then a map [itex]\gamma':V^\dagger\to Z'[/itex] is multilinear, and agrees with [itex]\xi[/itex] on [itex]X'[/itex], if and only if it satisfies:
    \begin{align*}
    \gamma'\left(\left\langle \sum_{i_1}a_{1i_1}v_{1i_1},\, ...\, ,\sum_{i_m}a_{mi_m}v_{mi_m}\right\rangle\right)
    &=\sum_{i_1}\sum_{i_2}\ ...\ \sum_{i_m} \prod_{k=1}^m a_{ki_k}\gamma'\left(\left\langle
    v_{1i_1},\, ...\, ,v_{mi_m}\right\rangle\right)
    \\&=
    \sum_{i_1}\sum_{i_2}\ ...\ \sum_{i_m} \prod_{k=1}^m a_{ki_k}
    \xi\left(\langle v_{1i_1},...,v_{mi_m}\rangle\right)
    \end{align*}
    where the first equality implements multilinearity and the second implements the requirement to agree with [itex]\xi[/itex].
    Since [itex]X'[/itex] is a basis for [itex]V^\dagger[/itex], it follows that such a map [itex]\gamma'[/itex] exists. It is unique because the representation [itex]\sum_{i_k}a_{ki_k}v_{ki_k}[/itex] of the [itex]k[/itex]th coordinate of the input to [itex]\gamma'[/itex] is unique.

4. Mar 20, 2016 #3
    Andrew,

Going through your post carefully shortly ...

Cooperstein provides a definition of Z in the introduction to Section 10.1 including in the proof of Theorem 10.1 ...

Relevant text from Cooperstein is as follows:

?temp_hash=a66ee8cd377f7c6b3c284cd0f239d602.png

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted