1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis vectors and ortho solution spaces

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1

I've got two homogenous equations: 3x + 2y + z - u = 0 and 2x + y + z +5u = 0. I'm trying to find a basis for these solutions. The solution vector x [x, y, z, u] is a solution if and only if it is orthogonal to the row vectors, in this case a and b ([3, 2, 1, -1], [2, 1, 1, 5)]. My understanding is that these row vectors span the space orthogonal to x, and they thus can be used as a basis. The answer given by the text I'm using gives for a basis these two vectors [1, -1, -1, 0] and [0, 6, -11, 1]. How were these basis vectors derived? I tried doing a linear combination of a and b to get the textbook answer but I couldn't get that to work. Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

I get a different basis, namely [-1, 1, 1, 0] and [-11, 17, 0, 1], but your vectors also are a basis for the solution space defined by the two equations.

How did I get mine? I row reduced the 2 X 4 matrix whose rows were the coefficients of x, y, z, and u.

I ended up with
    [1 0 1 11]
    [0 1 -1 -17]

Call the reduced matrix A. Then A [x y z u]^T = 0
    From this you get [x y z u]^T = z[-1 1 1 0]^T + u[-11 17 0 1]^T

The solution space is the 2-D subspace of R^4 spanned by/made up of linear combinations of the vectors you show or the vectors I show. The solution space is a hyperplane in R^4. Any two vectors that aren't parallel and that lie in this hyperplane would make a basis.

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello EWW! :smile:

You're getting confused …

they can't be used as a basis for a space they are orthogonal to. :wink:
  5. Oct 17, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As tiny-tim said, you are confusing the "solution space" and the space orthogonal to the solutions space. Any linear combination of a and b will be orthogonal to the solution space, not in the solution space.

EWW here's how I would do the problem: The solution space consists of vectors <x, y, z, u> satisfying 3x + 2y + z - u = 0 and 2x + y + z +5u = 0. Subtract the second equation from the first to eliminate z: x+ y- 6u= 0 so x= -y+ 6u. Put that back into the first equation: 3(-y+ 6u)+ 2y+ z- u= -y+ 17u+ z= 0 so z= y- 17u. Take y= 1, u= 0. Then x= -1 and z= 1. <-1, 1, 0, 1> is in the solution set. Take y= 0, u= 1. Then x= 6 and z= -17. <6, 0, -17, 1> is also in the solution set and the two vectors form a basis.

If, instead, I had solved the equation x+ y- 6u= 0 for y, y= -x+ 6u, and put that back into the first equation I would have got z= -x-11u so that I have y and z in terms of x and u. Taking x= 1, u= 0 gives <1, -1, -1, 0> and taking x= 0, u= 1 gives <0, 6, -11, 1> the solution in your textbook.

If you were to solve for x and y in terms of z and u, then take z=1, u=0 and z=0, u= 1, you would get Mark44's solution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?