Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Batteries at freezing temperatures

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    I am trying to develop a battery operated invention that will be used primarily in sub freezing conditions. From what I can tell from my research so far, a simple 9 volt NiMH or lithium will work fine under these conditions. The only problem I foresee though is that when this was eventually a product out on the market, I doubt the general public as a whole would heed the package warning of only using NiMH or lithium batteries

As a workaround I've thought of integrating a rechargeable battery into the product itself but am unsure what type of battery would be ideal and also cheap. (Basically I'd like to be able to turn a DC motor with a small load for at least 2 hours)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2
    NiCd work down to -40°C whereas NiMH, lead acid, LiO stop working at -20°C. NiCd can be recharged, but seems to become illegal now in the EU. Lithium stuff is expensive, but appearently can be made to work in the cold too.

4. Jun 20, 2010 #3
    You can always purchase the batteries that you feel would fit best in your device from an OEM. From there, put your companies name on it and add a little premium. Then, only support your device with those said batteries (but of course let your battery chemistry be known)...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook