Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beables in or NOT in Spacetime?

1. Jun 16, 2011 #1
    How do you understand Beables? How do you define Beables? Are these supposed to be located in spacetime or behind spacetime? m_wan wrote in the QM forum:

Do you agree with this? Why and why not?

I think understanding beables and its connection to spacetime is key to solving the secret of quantum gravity or quantum spacetime in general.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I disagree. If something is objective, it doesn't mean it's independent.

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3
    Note the qualifier used: self-referential position. I spent a lot of time in the thread that was taken from qualifying the differences in possible ontological statuses that can be associated with what can be termed "real". In the more general case it is in fact true that "objective" does not automatically entail "independence". In some cases it could even require a lack of "independence".

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4
    I herard quantum gravity doesn't necessary have to involve beables. So I guess the following is the case.

Copenhagen version of quantum gravity involve having spin 2 particle that obeys quantum mechanics mediate the gravitational field

Bohmian version of quantum gravity involves beables or how exactly matter is glue to spacetime.

In Quantum Mechanics. Copenhagen makes more sense. But in Quantum Gravity. Shouldn't Beables make more sense because you are dealing with SpaceTime now that is more objective than Hilbert Space in QM?

This means Bohmiam Mechanics should be a Bohmian version of quantum gravity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook