1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam splitter energy conservation

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    Hi,

If we describe a beam splitter as follows:

[tex]e^{ikx} -> \sqrt{T}e^{ikx} + \sqrt{R}e^{i\theta}e^{iky}[/tex]
    [tex]e^{iky} -> \sqrt{T}e^{iky} + \sqrt{R}e^{i\theta'}e^{ikx}[/tex]

then [itex]\theta+\theta'=\pi[/itex] is a condition to ensure conservation of energy according to my text.

I tried working this out by taking [itex]Ae^{ikx}+Be^{iky}[/itex] incident on a beam splitter. The incident energy is [itex]A^{2}+B^{2}[/itex].

The output is

[itex]A\sqrt{T}e^{ikx} + A\sqrt{R}e^{i\theta}e^{iky} +B\sqrt{T}e^{iky} + B\sqrt{R}e^{i\theta'}e^{ikx}[/itex]

Its energy is [itex]A^{2} + B^{2} + AB\sqrt{TR}(e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta})+AB\sqrt{TR}(e^{i\theta'}+e^{-i\theta'})[/itex]

So, to preserve conservation, we must have [itex]2cos(\theta)+2cos(\theta')=0[/itex]

That gives [itex]\theta+\theta'=\pi[/itex] or [itex]\theta -\theta'=\pi[/itex]. But I never see this second result anywhere. Why is it there and how is it eliminated?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    Anyone? Strange thing is that I have the answer but an extra solution which should be invalid. Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook