Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beautiful Natural Oceanic Diffraction Patterns

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I was having a flick around Google maps whilst procrastinating and came across this when I looked at some islands off the Australian coast.

I'm not 100% certain that the pattern is caused by diffraction of the waves passing through the gap between Bernier and Dorre Islands, or simply by the superposition of waves coming in from the ocean through the gap different angles, giving a rounded effect. Anyway, it's a nice image and if someone confirms it, it could make a nice slide in a classroom talk.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF: did you mean this one?
    [attached]

Attached Files:

• diff.jpg
      diff.jpg
      File size:
      86.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    That's the one.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4
    Looks like diffraction to me. The water doesn't look as if it is approching the gap at different angles.

6. Dec 6, 2011 #5

olivermsun

Science Advisor

I agree, it looks like classic diffraction.

Also, see the name of the jpeg image file.

7. Dec 6, 2011 #6
    Simon, did you just get the picture yourself and call if diff.jpg?

8. Dec 6, 2011 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's right.

The picture is a screen grab from Google-Earth, which I called diff.jpg so I could find it in my picture directory. Apart from cropping and the compression, the image has not been processed (by me). I kept the notes on where GE got the image as well as the lat and long so you good folks could find it for yourself.

The water in the gap is shallow - you can see the shelving. As the deep-water waves approach the islands, they bend towards them so the waves approach the gap almost dead-on. You can also see smaller multiple diffraction around the smaller islets - though I have not seen any obvious interference in there.

Perhaps someone can find an example of interference fringes appearing in waves off the sea around islands? The conditions must exist ... you'd need a bunch of smaller islets in the gap (probably a narrower gap).

9. Dec 6, 2011 #8
    That is beautiful flow patterns, here one I found with clouds that I find beautiful. Hope you do to

Attached Files:

10. Dec 6, 2011 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Nice - those are streamlines though.
    Nature produces so much beauty it would quickly overwhelm the thread if people kept posting images. The challenge here is to find diffraction patterns in naturally occurring waves.

11. Dec 6, 2011 #10
    I kept the notes on where GE got the image as well as the lat and long so you good folks could find it for yourself.
    http://www.uklv.info/g.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  12. Dec 6, 2011 #11

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

For double slit interference, we need a harbour facing the open sea, with a narrowed harbour mouth (or two sea walls) and a rocky island slap bang in the middle of the entrance. Any candidates come to mind? :smile:

13. Dec 6, 2011 #12

NascentOxygen

Botany Bay, in eastern Australia, exhibits a good diffraction pattern in this aerial photo.

14. Dec 7, 2011 #13

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

here's another Australian one from just up the NSW coast from home
    found this on google earth when i was doing searches for microwave radio sites for sea path transmissions

attachment.php?attachmentid=41659&stc=1&d=1323245296.jpg

complete with intereference patterns from multiple diffractions

cheers
    Dave

Attached Files:

15. Dec 7, 2011 #14
  16. Dec 7, 2011 #15
    Both of those 'double slit' waves are very cool. I guess it's gonna be quite hard to find one that exhibits a perfect pattern due to the slight lack of coherency in this kind of wave!

17. Dec 7, 2011 #16
    Pulau Pangkor, Malaysia, might do it.

18. Dec 7, 2011 #17

NascentOxygen

A tiny island? It's clouded under.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook