Becoming a Patent Agent: Can I Do It With Only a Master's from Stanford?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Pras2
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have a Master's in Biology with 11 years of industry experience, I want to become a patent agent. How hard is it to break into the field of patent prosecution without a PhD? My Master's is from Stanford University.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pras2 said:
I have a Master's in Biology with 11 years of industry experience, I want to become a patent agent. How hard is it to break into the field of patent prosecution without a PhD? My Master's is from Stanford University.

A good friend of mine has a Master's in Biology from Stanford University and is currently a Patent Agent. The key is to have a connection. Almost every job is word of mouth so you need to seek out Patent law firms (if you're in the South Bay there are lots of them) and try to get informational interviews. A big plus is if you've gone through the patent application process as part of your job.