• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Becoming Software Engineer/Network Administrator with 2 minor felonies

• Programs
  • Thread starter varus
  • Start date
Pengwuino
Gold Member
leright said:
Most teenagers don't shoplift over $100 of goods, which is what is required for it to be a felony. In fact, most teenagers don't shoplift at all.

As for the ID forgery, I wouldn't say 'most' do that either.

To be quite honest, I would be wary about hiring you if I was an employer. However, it depends on how long its been since you've commited the crimes.
pfff, certainly not the idiots i knew in high school! I think they even tried to excuse their criminal acts at times...

Pengwuino
Gold Member
PerennialII said:
... moral "branding" on the basis of something like this ... :surprised . A single bit world.....
Ah yes, love the "you arent allowed to say whats moral and whats not moral" crowd. Whats next, you wont be able to say corporate fraud is immoral? Murder? Why can't we call anything immoral or unethical anymore.

Pengwuino said:
Ah yes, love the "you arent allowed to say whats moral and whats not moral" crowd. Whats next, you wont be able to say corporate fraud is immoral? Murder? Why can't we call anything immoral or unethical anymore.
I'm sure PerennialII was refering to the email spoofing, not the shoplifting and ID forgery. Last time I heard, email spoofing is not even illegal. Universities though will treat it like that.

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
Good catch Tony .... as far as I'm concerned can say whatever one wants, but linking spoofing like this to ones ability to take on grad school for example .... don't see the correlation. Save judgement to stuff that matter and use common sense what comes to kiddie stuff such as this one (and the ID forgery etc. are close 2nds), it's not like banning people out of society for every little mess is any help even in the big picture (other than a display of PC moral "superiority", which seems to be pretty contagious nowadays).

Well, what I'm curious about is, will employer even give me a chance to explain why I have that record, that just because I used fake id (altered Dob) to buy alcohol when I was under 21 it doesn't mean that I will do a bad job in programming or can't be trusted with sensitive information, or they just disqualify you automatically after being asked about a felony in the questionnaire and you mark "Yes", maybe it's better to mark "No" and then when confronted have a chance to explain?

No, definitely do not lie. What you have to realize is these people will not hire you, not because of you abilities, but the fact that you may not be trustworthy. If you lie on you application that is another strike against you. Plus you don't fill out applications when you apply for real jobs, this isn't the Mceedees. If they are going to ask they will to your face, or ask you to bring in a criminal background check at which point you could admit you had a record. In any case to not lie. You made the mistake cough up the cash to get a service that will attempt to erase you record.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
jubs said:
If they are going to ask they will to your face, or ask you to bring in a criminal background check at which point you could admit you had a record.
Shoot. Most places do background check as their policy. Sometimes they will let you know that they're going to do one.

Regards