Been trying to figure this one out for some time

In summary, the equation LogeX=2loge(100-y^2)+C where X(0)=100 find C can be solved by using natural logarithm and the given initial condition to find that C = -Ln(100) = -4.60517...
imperiale
LogeX=2loge(100-y^2)+C where X(0)=100 find C.
i keep getting different ans, don't know where i am going wrong

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We can't tell you what you are doing wrong if you don't tell us what you are doing!

Also, what do you mean by X(0)? Are you thinking of X as a function of y? That is, X(0)= 100 means that if y= 0, X= 100?

imperiale said:
LogeX=2loge(100-y^2)+C where X(0)=100 find C.
i keep getting different ans, don't know where i am going wrong

Assuming this equation is more correctly written as:
Log(e^X) = 2 * Log[e^(100-Y^2)] + C

and, assuming
HallsofIvy said:
... what do you mean by X(0)? Are you thinking of X as a function of y? That is, X(0)= 100 means that if y= 0, X= 100?

then we have:
Log(e^100) = 2 * Log(e^100) + C
and C = -Log(e^100)

But, if you really mean to use natural log (Ln), rather than the base 10 logarithm (Log), the equation becomes:
Ln(e^100) = 2 * Ln(e^100) + C

and, since Ln(e^x) = x, we have:
100 = 2 * 100 + C
100 = 200 + C
C = -100

I assumed that he does not mean log(ex) but that "Loge" meant "log base e" or natural logarithm.

Hopefully, imperiale will come back and explain in more detail exactly what he is trying to do.

HallsofIvy said:
I assumed that he does not mean log(ex) but that "Loge" meant "log base e" or natural logarithm.

If this is the case, then using Log base e (better known as natural logarithm, or "Ln"), the equation becomes:
Ln(X) = 2 * Ln(100 - Y^2) + C

and, still assuming
HallsofIvy said:
... what do you mean by X(0)? Are you thinking of X as a function of y? That is, X(0)= 100 means that if y= 0, X= 100?

we would have:
Ln(100) = 2 * Ln(100) + C
and C = -Ln(100)

1. What does "Been trying to figure this one out for some time" mean?

"Been trying to figure this one out for some time" is a phrase that indicates the speaker has been attempting to understand or solve a problem or puzzle for a significant amount of time.

2. Why is it taking so long to figure out?

The length of time it takes to figure something out can vary depending on the complexity of the problem, the available resources, and the individual's problem-solving skills. Some problems may require more time and effort to solve than others.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and by using different strategies, such as breaking the problem into smaller parts, seeking input from others, and thinking creatively. It can also be helpful to learn from past experiences and analyze the steps you took to solve a problem.

4. Is there a specific approach to figuring something out?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to figuring something out, as it depends on the nature of the problem and the individual's preferred problem-solving style. Some people may prefer to use logical reasoning, while others may rely on intuition or trial and error.

5. What should I do if I can't figure it out on my own?

If you are struggling to figure something out on your own, it can be helpful to seek input from others, such as colleagues or experts in the field. Collaboration and brainstorming can often lead to new insights and solutions that you may not have thought of on your own.