Finding value of parameters to fit some data

In summary: So in order to minimize the variance, we would need to find a set of values for a,b,c that minimize ##s(a,b,c)##.
imsolost
The problem is the following :

I have some measured data's obtained when measuring a physical process. Let's call these : yE,L where E and L are 2 physical parameters of the experiment (an energy and a length).

I also know that :

$$\frac{y_{E,L}}{\sum_{k=1} ^{k=100} {\epsilon_{E,L} (k * v) * f(k*v|a,b,c) }} = constant$$ for all E, L.

where f(x|a,b,c) is a known, non-linear, parametrized function with 3 parameters that needs a fit : a, b, c. whose I know the expression of (I don't write it here because its quite long with some exponentials but I hope you get the idea).

I have no analytical expression for ##\epsilon_{E,L}(x)## but I can calculate separately each of the 100 different ##\epsilon_{E,L}(k*v)## values so I know the value of all ##\epsilon_{E,L}(k*v)## above for all E and L.

What algorithm or calculation method should I use to get a best-fit for a,b,c ?edit : trying to get the latex code working but smthing's wrong -_-' <Moderator's note: fixed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
imsolost said:
so I know the value of all ##\epsilon_{E,L}(k*v)## above for all E and L.

It isn't clear what you data is. For example, do ##E## and ##L## have any definite relation to "##v##"?

In a simple experimental scenario, data has the form of ordered pairs (x,y). One controls the value of x and measures the value of y. Do you have more than one "control" variable?

Stephen Tashi said:
It isn't clear what you data is. For example, do ##E## and ##L## have any definite relation to "##v##"?

In a simple experimental scenario, data has the form of ordered pairs (x,y). One controls the value of x and measures the value of y. Do you have more than one "control" variable?

Using your notation (x,y), then your "y" is my ##y_{E,L}##. Your "x" is my couple of variables (E, L). Basically, during my experiment, I changed L (I used 3 different values of L) and E (i used 5 different values of E) for a total of 3x15 data points ##y_{E,L}##. I guess this should be enough to find 3 parameters a, b, c.

"v" is just an interval : the denominator of my expression comes from a simple rectangle numerical integration (I forgot a *v in the expression inside the sum btw). So basically, I had something in the denominator like ##\int_{0}^{100*v}{\epsilon_{E,L} (r) * f(r|a,b,c)*dr} ##.

I hope this clarifies my problem. Any help would be really appreciated.

Is the value of "constant" known?

No, I don't know its value.

(I used 3 different values of L) and E (i used 5 different values of E) for a total of 3x15 data points yE,L
I assume you mean 3x5 = 15 data points.

You could formulate the problem as an optimization problem - to find values of a,b,c that minimize a certain function subject to certain constraints on a,b,c (if there are any - e.g. perhaps some of the parameters need to be positive or within known bounds).

There are various numerical techniques for solving such optimization problems, such as "simulated annealing" and "conjugate gradient".

let the function that is supposed to be some common constant for a given value of ##E,L## be ##g(E,L,a,b,c)##.

Let ##h(a,b,c) = \sum_{i=1}^5 \sum_{j=1}^3 g(E_i,L_j,a,b,c)## and ##\bar{h} = \frac{ h(a,b,c)} {15}##

Let the function to minimize be ##s(a,b,c) = \sum_{i=1}^5 \sum_{j=1}^3 ( g(E_i,L_j,a,b,c) - \bar{h})^2## which is proportional to the sample variance of the functions ##g(E_i,L_j,a,b,c)##. If each of the functions ##g(E_i,L_j,a,b,c)## had the same common value, the variance would be zero.

1. What is the purpose of finding the value of parameters to fit data?

The purpose of finding the value of parameters to fit data is to determine the relationship between variables and to create a model that accurately represents the data. This can be used for making predictions, understanding patterns, and making informed decisions.

2. How do you determine the value of parameters to fit data?

The value of parameters to fit data is determined through a process called parameter estimation. This involves using statistical methods to find the best fitting values for the parameters that will minimize the difference between the model and the actual data.

3. What are some common methods used to find the value of parameters?

Some common methods used to find the value of parameters include linear regression, nonlinear regression, and maximum likelihood estimation. These methods use different mathematical techniques to find the best fitting values for the parameters.

4. How do you know if the parameters you have chosen are the best fit for the data?

The best way to determine if the parameters are the best fit for the data is by evaluating the goodness of fit. This involves looking at statistical measures such as the coefficient of determination (R-squared) and the root-mean-square error (RMSE) to determine how well the model fits the data.

5. Can the value of parameters change over time?

Yes, the value of parameters can change over time. This is because data can be affected by various factors such as changes in the environment, population, or technology. It is important to regularly review and update the parameters to ensure the model accurately reflects the current data.