Beers Law and Colorimetry Problems

• Thread starter Blockmeister
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary: But if you want to go all in, you could try looking up Beer's Law on Google.I put it in the wrong sectionNo problem, Chemistry is physics as soon as you know what you are doing anyway. Now how about some context, etc?
Blockmeister

Homework Statement

1.http://puu.sh/b88pU/4f28d92240.png
2.http://puu.sh/b88rd/e93d067670.png
73eda5cf2a.png

77c441fdd2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I substituted x with 1.8 and got .751 then multiplied by 1000 to get 751 ohm but not sure if this process is entirely correct.
2.no idea
3.substituted 650 with y and then got 3.3 x 10^3, again not sure if right
4. no idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I completely miss any relevant equations...

BvU said:
I completely miss any relevant equations...

Thats the thing, Idk what even relates to this.

Idk is no good (see forum rules). What dyk ?
Any idea how to google Beer's law? probably yes. Least you can do is make a guess as to how this can be migrated to your exercise.

This screen dump comes from somewhere (and not from a sociology course). So there is a context.
And you must have an idea what x and y are. So be so kind as to include that knowledge under 1.
y must be some logarithm ? you substitute the 1.8 ppm for x. so the .195 is dimensionless too ? No way to get Volts per Ampere that way, right ?

And so on. I like Question 7 also: none of the answers has the dimension of concentration.

Could this be a Chemistry course ? Or am I not making friends that way ?

BvU said:
Idk is no good (see forum rules). What dyk ?
Any idea how to google Beer's law? probably yes. Least you can do is make a guess as to how this can be migrated to your exercise.

This screen dump comes from somewhere (and not from a sociology course). So there is a context.
And you must have an idea what x and y are. So be so kind as to include that knowledge under 1.
y must be some logarithm ? you substitute the 1.8 ppm for x. so the .195 is dimensionless too ? No way to get Volts per Ampere that way, right ?

And so on. I like Question 7 also: none of the answers has the dimension of concentration.

Could this be a Chemistry course ? Or am I not making friends that way ?

Sorry yea its a chemistry question.

I put it in the wrong section

No problem, Chemistry is physics as soon as you know what you are doing anyway. Now how about some context, etc?

BvU said:
No problem, Chemistry is physics as soon as you know what you are doing anyway. Now how about some context, etc?

Its just some basic questions about beers law and a colorimetry lab.

Then there is no place for resistance. Either something is completely off, or you are ignoring the context. Our bet is that there was some introduction to these questions, describing what is the experiment.

1. What is Beer's Law?

Beer's Law, also known as the Beer-Lambert Law, is a scientific principle that explains the relationship between the concentration of a solution and the amount of light it absorbs. It states that the absorbance of a solution is directly proportional to its concentration and the path length of light through the solution.

2. How is Beer's Law used in colorimetry?

In colorimetry, Beer's Law is used to determine the concentration of a solution by measuring its absorbance of light at a specific wavelength. This allows scientists to quantitatively analyze the color of a solution and determine its concentration.

3. What are the limitations of Beer's Law?

Beer's Law is based on certain assumptions, such as the solution being dilute and the absorption occurring in a straight path. If these assumptions are not met, the law may not accurately predict the concentration of the solution. Additionally, Beer's Law only applies to solutions that have a linear relationship between absorbance and concentration.

4. How is a colorimeter used in Beer's Law experiments?

A colorimeter is a device used to measure the absorbance of a solution at a specific wavelength. It works by passing a beam of light through the solution and measuring the amount of light that is absorbed. The absorbance value can then be used to calculate the concentration of the solution using Beer's Law.

5. Can Beer's Law be used for all types of substances?

No, Beer's Law is only applicable to solutions that have a linear relationship between absorbance and concentration. Substances that do not follow this relationship, such as those that undergo chemical reactions in solution, cannot be analyzed using Beer's Law.